- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Old Style
- 431 38/95
- 470 tons
History and Notes
- 1847 Enrolled Cleveland, OH.
- 1847, Apr 17 Launched Conneaut, OH; largest sailing craft on lakes.
- 1847, Jun 10 Arrived Buffalo with 15,794 bushels wheat from Chicago & 627 bushels flour from Detroit.
- 1851 Enrolled Chicago, IL.
- 1851, Jul 25 Largest cargo brought to Buffalo by sail vessel.
- 1851, Sep 28 Dismasted off Presque Isle, MI, Lake Huron; towed to Detroit for repairs.
- 1852-57 Four enrollments Buffalo, NY.
- 1852, Apr 21 Sold to Fox & Bruce, Buffalo, NY.
- 1853, Aug 27 Damage in collision with brig ISABELLA, Port Colburne, ONT.
- 1854, Jun 2 Aground 3 days on flats, St. Clair River.
- 1854, Aug 2 Rescued schooner MARQUETTE ashore Skiligalee Reef.
- 1855, Oct 10 Sunk near shore Point Abino; refloated.
- 1859 Large repairs.
- 1860 Owner J.F. Stafford & Co., Chicago, IL.
- 1860, Apr Aground in river below Chicago.
- 1865 Rebuilt.
- 1866 Owned at Chicago, IL.
- 1867 Enrolled Detroit; readmeasured 288.84 gross tons.
- 1868, Fall Ashore Pt. aux Barques, MI.
- 1869, Jun 14 Repaired Bay City, MI.
- 1870 Changed to two-masted schooner barge, Detroit.
- 1871 Owned Crawford & Hanna, Detroit.
- 1876 Owned Berwick & Crawford, Detroit; towed by steamer ALPENA.
- 1882 Buffalo Customs District.
- 1884 M. Connelly et al, Buffalo; repaired 1882.
- 1885 Buffalo Customs District; 140 x 28 x 10.4'; 288.84 gross/274.4 net tons.
- 1888, Detroit District.
- 1888, Nov 11 Succumbed to gale & wrecked near Fish Point.
- Newspaper Clippings
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- C.E. Feltner Enrollments Database
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- Beers, History of the Great Lakes, J.B. Mansfield
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 14:16:04
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio