- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 1400 tons
History and Notes
- 1873, Apr Launched; double decker.
- 1875 Owned Campbell & O., Detroit, MI.
- 1876 Owned Merrick & Son, Detroit, MI.
- 1879 Owned Ira H. Owens et.al., Chicago, IL; Escanaba & Lake Michigan Transportation Co.
- 1881, Apr 23 Changed to bulk freighter; fitted with starboard engine from INTER OCEAN; steeple compound 22 + 42 x 30 from Dry Dock Engine Work; firebox boiler 9 x 151, 213 x 35.2 x 12.4; 1118 gross tons.
- 1882 Owned Marine City, MI; 1118.59 gross tons.
- 1883, Nov Near stranded Point Betsey during heavy seas, filled with water.
- 1887. Mar 29 Chartered to carry 50,000 bu. wheat, Detroit to Buffalo.
- 1887, May 25 Rebuilt; condensing engine compounded; new & larger boiler.
- 1887, Oct 25 Distress during storm near Grand Haven, damaged steering gear.
- 1890 Owned Erie & Lake Michigan Transportation Co, Marine City.
- 1896, May Steam chest exploded on Lake Michigan; repaired.
- 1898, Aug 23 Sprung leak while unloading Buffalo ore dock.
- 1899 Owned C.R. Jones, Port Huron, MI.
- 1900, Aug 19 Loaded with ore Escanaba; sprung leak & sank #3 ore dock.
- 1900, Aug 20 Broke main steam line as listed; sank Escanaba, badly scalding fireman; overloaded/
- 1906, Aug 27 Collision with CITY OF CONCORD Port Huron.
- 1906, Oct 13 Burned dock Marysville, MI; owned D.W. Mills, Cleveland.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- Milwaukee Public Library
- Marine Directory, R.L. Polk Co., Detroit
- International Ship Masters Association
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of D
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 13:35:33
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio