- Propulsion Type
- Tonnage Gross
History and Notes
- St. Clair River tug.
- 1869 Part of Detroit Tug Association & St. Clair River Tug Association.
- 1869, Aug Broke cylinder head, St. Clair River.
- 1871, Jul/Aug Machinery disabled; repaired Detroit.
- 1871, Sep Collided with bark MONARCH, Lake Erie; lost smokestack.
- 1872 Towed log rafts.
- 1873 Rebuilt; "housed-in"; 227.89 gross/139.83 net tons.
- 1875 Owned Strong Estate, Detroit.
- 1875, Apr Operated by John R. Gillett, Detroit.
- 1881, Mar - May Chartered by Peshtigo Lumber Co; towed lumber vessel in Peshtigo-Chicago trade.
- 1883, Sep 24 Grounded Point Edward, St. Clair River, aiding steambarge SANILAC; seized for serving in Canadian waters.
- 1884 Owned Thomas Pitts, Detroit.
- 1885 Owned John Pridgeon, Detroit.
- 1887 Rebuilt; outfitted as wrecker.
- 1889 Owned John Pridgeon, Jr., Detroit; rebuilt; new boiler.
- 1890, Nov 6 Lost stern post & shoe, East Tawas, MI., Lake Huron.
- 1891 Owned S.B. Grummond, Detroit.
- 1892, Apr 15 Owned Ben Boutell, Bay City(Saginaw Bay Towing Co.); large repairs.
- 1894 One 13' x 13', 110# steam, scotch boiler built by Wickes Bros., Saginaw, MI.
- 1897 Rebuilt by Ben Boutell, Bay City; staterooms, electric lights, steam heat, toilets.
- 1898 To Atlantic coast; owned Boutell Barge line; towed coal barges.
- 1899, May Organized as Boutell Transportation & Towing Co.
- 1901, Geb 1 New rudder, New York City.
- 1904 Owned Davis Coal & Coke Co., New York.
- 1906 Owned Western Maryland Railroad Co., Baltimore, MD.
- 1908 Listed with 15 & 30 x 24', 500hp; fore & aft compound engine built by Richards Iron Works, Manitowoc, WI; one 8 1/3' x 14' scotch boiler.
- 1912 Rebuilt; 130.7 x 21.8 x 12.5; 289 gross/168 net tons.
- 1913, Dec 20 Renamed SEA KING.
- 1920's Owned Eastern (and/or) Northern Transportation Co., Wilmington, DE; listed with 16 1/2 & 35 1/2 x 26"; 600hp fore & aft compound engine.
- 1923 Sank & abandoned.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Peter J. VanderLinden
- Newspaper Clippings
- Maritime History of the Great Lakes
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- Inland Seas, Great Lakes Historical Society
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-25 08:52:04
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio