- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 40,000 bushels
History and Notes
- 1883, Apr 30 First enrolled Milwaukee, WI.
- 1883, Sep 21 Rebuilt, 2 decks; 841.27 gross/ 768.31 net tons.
- 1884, Jul 30 Crank pin broke on Lake Michigan.
- 1885 In ore trade between Marquette, MI & Chicago, IL.
- 1887, Mar 17 Owned Kelley Island Lime & Transport Co., Cleveland, OH.
- 1887, Oct 5 Towed into Sault Ste. Marie, MI with broken shaft; repaired at Detroit, MI.
- 1890, Jul 19 Aground with consort GEORGE at Black Hole, near Encampment Island, St. Mary's River.
- 1895, Oct Burned.
- 1895, Nov 25 Ashore with consort MATTIE C BELL in storm on Summer Island, WI, Lake Michigan.
- 1896, May Wreck recovered.
- 1896, Sep 3 Vessel rebuilt, Milwaukee; upper deck & 1 mast removed; 20 + 40 x 30", 575hp @ 100rpm fore & aft compound engine by Wilson & Hendrie, Montague, MI (1893); engine origionally from CITY OF KALAMAZOO; 634.61 gross/ 561.65 net tons; owned J.W. Squire, Marine City, MI.
- 1898, Apr 9 Locked in ice, Straits of Mackinac; released with little damage.
- 1899 Two 6 x 14' @ 90# steam, firebox booilers by R. Davis, Milwaukee, WI.
- 1906, Mar 26 Same owner, Buffalo, NY.
- 1907, Feb 1 Owned Nessen Transportation Co., Michigan City, IN.
- 1907, Apr 26 Renamed PETERS.
- 1912, Apr 23 Same owner, Manistee, MI.
- 1915 Rebuilt at Manistee; 182.8 x 42.9 x 13'; 847 gross/ 692 net tons.
- 1915, Jun 4 Renamed CHARLES HORN.
- 1920, Apr 20 Renamed JAMES DEMSEY.
- 1922, Dec 10 Burned at Manistee.
- 1923, Mar 28 Documents surrendered, Grand Haven, MI.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- National Archives
- Milwaukee Public Library
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. B
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-25 06:43:06
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio