- Propulsion Type
- 30' 7"
- 12' 7"
- Tonnage Old Style
- Final Location
- 3 miles offshore, Lakeport, MI
- Lake Huron
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- abandoned in gale, sunk after afloat several days
- Final Notes
- bound to Saginaw, MI in tow of tug JAMES E. EAGLE; wreck discovered October 1991
- Lorain coordinates: 30831.1/49622.4
History and Notes
- 1848, Mar 11 Launched; ran Buffalo, NY-Chicago, IL.
- 1848, Nov Collided with Canadian vessel.
- 1849, May Ran Buffalo-Sandusky, OH.
- 1849, Oct 1 Damaged, Ashtabula, OH, pier collision.
- 1850, Nov 7 Collided, schooner GENERAL HOUSTON near Toledo, OH.
- 1851, Mar Operated by New York & Erie Railroad Line.
- 1851, May 1 Struck Cleveland, OH pier.
- 1852, Oct Ashore, Dunkirk, NY, Lake Erie.
- 1853, Apr 13 Holed & beached, Dunkirk.
- 1853, Jul c23 Collided, steamer ST. LAWRENCE between Fairport & Ashtabula, OH.
- 1853, Sep Broke machinery, Fairport, OH.
- 1853, Oct c20 Sank, Erie Harbor, PA.
- 1854, Mar Ran Chicago, IL-Sault Ste. Marie, MI.
- 1854, Jun Broke arches, Lake Michigan gale.
- 1854, Oct Ran Buffalo-Sandusky.
- 1854, Nov Broke pillar block near Detroit, MI.
- 1855 Chartered Simcoe & Lake Huron Railway Co.; ran freight between Collingwood, ONT & Chicago.
- 1855, Oct Damaged machinery; repaired, Buffalo.
- 1856, Nov Broke machinery, Straits of Mackinac; towed to Detroit.
- 1857, Jun Owned, several parties at Green Bay, WI & Michilimackinac, MI; ran Buffalo-Green Bay.
- 1858, Apr Re-owned Charles Reed, Erie, PA.
- 1862, Jul 25 Made a lumber barge; owned Capt. Robert...Cadet.
- 1863, Aug 16-17 Wrecked.
- Paul Schmitt
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- C.E. Feltner Enrollments Database
- C. Patrick Labadie
- "Diving Times"
- Unique ID
- Erik Heyl
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-25 02:01:13
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio