- 177' 10"
- 24' 6"
- 10' 10"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 455 73/95
- Final Location
- Near Van Buren Point or Barcelona, NY.
- Lake Erie.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Bound for Detroit; damaged by ice; became waterlogged, blown on reef; wrecked; abandoned by crew, sank; much of cargo & machinery salvaged fall of 1855; last owned J.L. Hurd & Co.
History and Notes
- 1845, Mar 17 First launched.
- 1845, May 16 First enrolled Buffalo Creek, NY.
- 1845 Ran Buffalo to Chicago, IL with mates SAMSON, HERCULES, & ST. LOUIS.
- 1847, Jun 10 Collided with BUNKER HILL near Conneaut, OH., Lake Erie.
- 1848, Apr 17 Damaged by Lake Michigan gale; smokepipe broke off.
- 1848, Nov 1 Sunk brig EMPIRE 45 mi. off St. Clair River.
- 1850, Jun 17 Owned Lucian M. Smith, Buffalo.
- 1850, Nov 20 Owned John Hollister, Buffalo.
- 1851, Mar 24 Owned Eber Ward II et al, Port Huron, MI.
- 1851, Jun 5 Sunk schooner MACKINAW in collision; no details.
- 1852, Apr 21 Ashore near Erie, PA., Lake Erie.
- 1852, Nov Driven ashore in gale.
- 1853, Apr 5 Carried Great Western Railway freight, Buffalo to Chicago.
- 1853, Nov 9 Keel injured by running on snag or sunken wreck, Lake Ontario; repaired Buffalo.
- 1854, Feb Operated by L.L. Hurd & co.
- 1854, Apr 20 Damaged by ice; sunk.
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- C.E. Feltner Enrollments Datab
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-25 01:14:09
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio