- Tonnage Old Style
- 738 79/95
- Final Location
- Off Thunder Bay, 7 miles from Alpena, MI.
- Lake Huron.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Bound Houghton, MI to Cleveland, OH, sunk in collision with propeller METEOR; 40 to 70 died.
- Many salvage attempts beginning 1880, several died in these attempts.
History and Notes
- 1863, Oct 6 Enrolled Cleveland, OH; pewabic is indian word for iron, ran on Lake Superior Line.
- 1865, May 8 Readmeasured Cleveland, OH 198 X 31 X 20.6', 979.07 gross tons.
- 1865, May 9 Change home port to Detroit, MI.
- 1865, Aug 9 Sank Lake Huron; one of worst disasters in history of Great Lakes.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Gerry Metzler
- Fred Trelfa
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipw
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-25 00:50:00