One story building with large plate glass windows, and slightly recessed door. Stepped parapet, and stepping along south facade to rear of building. Brick corners. " Travel Resources" written across front.
Date Of Construction
The Sanborn maps show a dwelling on this corner through 1929. A picture in "Old Saline Village" shows a gable front and wing house serving as a store/office. It burned in 1931, and a new office (the current building) was constructed in 1936. The newspaper stated that "the whole building was of tile with glazed material in front". In 1988, the building was completely remodeled and added on to. Saline Mercantile was a complex of many buildings, and 401 was the Lumber Division. Two other buildings are extant: 405 N. Ann Arbor (Antiques International), and a vacant building behind 401.
City Directories: 1878, 1894, 1899, 1912, 1916, 1920, 1926, 1941, 1945. Assessor's files: 1947 and current; U.S. Census: 1910, 1920. Sanborn Maps: 1888, 1893, 1899, 1912, 1921, 1929; Bird's Eye View of Saline, 1872; Proctor, "Old Saline Village"; Saline Observer: April 23, 1931, and October 22, 1936; undated article in the Saline Historical Society files.