Two and a half story, crossed gabled, Queen Anne style house. Two story cutaway bay on front (west) facade has decorative corner brackets. South facade gable projection also has corner brackets. Windows are one over one with molded wood lintels and sills. Wrap around porch has round column supports which rest on brick piers, and has a plain wood balustrade. Entry porch on north rear has spindlework supports, balustrade, railings, and frieze, and two sets of steps. Two story, mansard roof addition to rear. Front porch has brick foundation, and the house has stone foundation. Two car garage faces East Bennett. Gable front with flat, half-timbering decoration on garage doors.
Date Of Construction
Edwin Ford was a carpenter by trade, and built many dwellings and schoolhouses in the area. He gradually got more involved in the lumber business, and, in 1880, he started a lumberyard (on N. Ann Arbor) in partnership with his son, Flavius. Later they also dealt in all types of buildings supplies, carriages, and agricultural implements. Edwin died in 1904 and Flavius carried on the business through 1921. Christian and Mary Lambarth owned the home 1926-1947. The front porch was added after 1929. This house is listed on the National Register as part of the North Ann Arbor Street Historic District.
City Directories: 1878, 1894, 1899, 1912, 1916, 1920, 1926, 1941, 1945. Assessor's files: 1947 and current; U.S. Census: 1910, 1920. Sanborn Maps: 1888, 1893, 1899, 1912, 1921, 1929; Bird's Eye View of Saline, 1872; 1985 Multiple Resource Nomination, Laurie Sommers. Portrait and Biographical Album of Washtenaw County Michigan, 1891.