Please read the guidelines and instructions below before submitting your work to MJCSL.
MJCSL uses Submittable to receive and manage submissions. To send us your work, you will need to log in or create an account.
Proposal Process and Guidelines
Before being invited to submit a manuscript, you will first need to submit a proposal to the MJCSL editors for approval. Proposals should include:
- Up to a 150-word summary of the main argument. Be sure to highlight how your work intervenes in an ongoing conversation.
- The first few paragraphs and, if appropriate, section headings (make sure you tell us your big picture story here).
- Five recommended resources that are less of a bibliography than giving readers context to your field and your vantage point.
- Title, author name(s), institution(s).
Proposals should be sent via the Submittable button above. Select the form titled “Feature Article Proposals” and follow the instructions. While we accept proposals at any time, we have two proposal review deadlines per year:
- For Fall Issues, the review period begins March 1st
- For Spring Issues, the review period begins September 1st
Applicants can expect to hear back within 30 days from the start of each proposal review period.
Please note that MJCSL does not read unsolicited manuscripts. The editorial team will review your proposal to determine interest in pursuing it. If so, you will be invited to submit a full manuscript according to the guidelines below.
Manuscript Process and Guidelines
Feature Article Manuscripts should conform to the following author guidelines:
- Manuscripts should be 5,000-7,500 words, excluding tables, references, and appendices. While we encourage authors to be as concise as possible, we acknowledge longer manuscripts may be more applicable for certain projects.
- References should conform to the American Psychological Association (6th edition).
- Please render all spellings in American English. To change British or Commonwealth spellings to their American equivalents, please see the Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary.
- If audiovisual materials, tables, or charts are included, please attach individual files AND place the material within the text at the appropriate point with labels (e.g., Table 1, Fig. 2, etc.).
- Authors must acquire authorization for any media materials used and/or ensure they fall under the definition of fair use.
- Authors must carefully proofread their work before submission.
If you are asked to submit a manuscript, the deadlines are:
- For Fall Issues: June 1st
- For Spring Issues: December 1st
Our aim is to complete the external review process and issue a decision within three months of the original date of full manuscript submission. Accepted manuscripts will be edited and published within one year, depending on the number and type of manuscripts in progress.