Middle English Dictionary Entry
|Forms||tīke n.(3) Also (in surname) tic.|
|Etymology||ON: cp. OI tīk a bitch; cp. MLG tike.|
Definitions (Senses and Subsenses)
- c1450(?a1400) Siege Milan (Add 31042)1325 : Þou false hethyn hownde..Bot aythire of thies dayes Ilyke Hase þou stollen a waye lyke a tyke, The deuelle myghte with þ[e] goo.
- c1400(c1378) PPl.B (LdMisc 581)19.37 : Now ar þei lowe cherlis; As wyde as þe worlde is wonyeth þere none, But vnder tribut & taillage as tykes & cherles.
- c1440(?a1400) Morte Arth.(1) (Thrn)3642 : Lat vs..Hewe down hertly ʒone heythen tykes!
- c1440(?a1400) Morte Arth.(1) (Thrn)4258 : Fers feghtande folke folowes them aftyre; Howntes and hewes downe the heythen tykes.
- 1591(?a1425) Chester Pl.(Hnt HM 2)137/265 : Good were thee thy ould ragges to save soone. Little dowbt of such drownes, lyther tyke, for thy deedes donne.