Middle English Dictionary Entry
|Forms||scōren v. Also score, skore, (error) storyn; p.ppl. scored, scorde, skored, skorde.|
|Etymology||From scōr(e n.; also cp. ON: cp. OI skora.|
Definitions (Senses and Subsenses)
- a1400 Lanfranc (Ashm 1396)231/7 : If þou desirist to cure glandulas & scrophulas wiþ kuttyng..take him vp wiþ þi lift hond..& þane score [L discarna] him & drawe him out al hool with þe clooþ.
- (?1440) Palladius (DukeH d.2)6.119 : Haue a thing therfore Maad like a swerd this folk [the testicles] away to score.
- a1500(a1460) Towneley Pl.(Hnt HM 1)107/236 : Here is to recorde..A tart..A calf lyuer skorde with the veryose.
- (1440) PParv.(Hrl 221)450 : Scoryn talyys: Tallio, dico.
- (c1390) Chaucer CT.Sh.(Manly-Rickert)B.1606 : Ye han mo slakker dettours than am I, For I wol paye yow..and if so be I faille, I am youre wyf, score it vp on [vrr. it on, upon, on] my taille.
- (1440) PParv.(Hrl 221)486 : Talyyn, or scoryn or [Win: storyn on] taly: Tallio, dico.
- (1448) Doc.Faversham in Archaeol.Cant.20220 : They shall swere..to come to the Brewers house and ther offre them duly to tayll or score with them every Barrell, Binne, & kylderkyn that they have so born whedyr too whom in what place they have soo born.
- c1450(?a1400) Quatref.Love (Add 31042)413 : Oure werkes are wretyn in [read: and] scorde In a role of recorde Be-fore þat ilk grete lorde Full scharply to schawe.
- a1475 Bk.Courtesy (Sln 1986)407 : Þer-fore on his ʒerde skore shalle he Alle messys in halle þat seruet be.
- c1475(c1450) Idley Instr.(Cmb Ee.4.37)2.B.1730 : Whan they hadde rekoned, scored, and accompted Hoolly al his money, housholde, and store, To xxx li. than his goodis amounted.
- a1500(?a1400) KEdw.& S.(Cmb Ff.5.48)779 : Foure pounde ʒe owe to me..Hit is skorid here on a tayle.
- (1310) EPNSoc.47 (Ches.)27 : Le Scoridhoc.