- Two fragments of beige woven wool fabric that have been sewn together. Fragment A has a 0.6 cm purple weft band near the center. The two fragments were attached with warps at right angles.
- Accession Number
- view the related artifact record
- Fabric Structure Simple
- Both are weft predominant plain weave.
- Fragment B was folded along both warp-wise edges and sewn to fragment A with two rows of stitches for each fold, mostly running stitches. The stitches measure from 0.2 cm to 0.4 cm. All are doubled yarns except the overcast row along the outside edge where the folded edge of fragment B is almost even with the edge of fragment A. These stitches measure from 0.2 cm to 0.4 cm, also. There are a few stitches at each weft-wise edge, very similar to the other rows. Most of the stitches are 0.3 cm long but two stitches next to the hole in fragment B are 0.5 cm and 0.6 cm long.
- Photo Side 2
- Both are somewhat dirty. Fragment B has some plant material on the surface, as well as a small interior hole. Fragment A has some edge tears. Both have areas of damaged wefts that leave exposed warps, especially the purple band of fragment A. Minor edge fraying.
- Border Type
- Photo Side 1
- Selvedge Type
- A - 9
- B - 10.5
- A - 10
- B - 7
Yarn Number 12755.WA.01 12755.WE.01 12755.WE.02 12755.WA.02 12755.WE.03 12755.YN.01 12755.YN.2 Color Dyes Identified beige (465 dull) beige (465 dull) deep purple (5185) beige (465 dull) beige (465 dull) beige (465 dull) beige (465 dull) Count 10 30 too few for accurate count 10 28 Fiber Content wool wool wool wool wool wool wool Function warp - fragment A weft - fragment A weft - fragment A warp - fragment B weft - fragment B sewing - all but one overcast row sewing - overcast row along warp-wise edge of frag. A & B Spin Direction s s s s s s s Twist Level high low low high low high high Yarn Structure single single single single single single, used doubled single