- Fragment of woven wool fabric with brown warp and weft bands as follows:
- brown 2.5 cm
- purple 10 cm
- brown 8
- There is a row of stitches diagonally across the corner in the smaller brown band.
- Accession Number
- view the related artifact record
- Fabric Structure Simple
- Weft-faced plain weave.
- A row of coarse wool overcast stitches goes diagonally across a corner of the smaller brown band. These stitches measure from 0.4 cm to 0.6 cm long. There are small remnants of brown yarns caught in these stitches. There are single brown stitches at the corner, just above the yellow stitches. These overcast stitches measure 0.5 cm and 0.7 cm long.
- Very dirty and extremely deteriorated. The larger brown band is attached by one warp yarn only. There are many large and small edge tears. Damaged wefts, especially in the purple band, leave many exposed warps.
- Border Type
- Photo Side 1
- Selvedge Type
Yarn Number 12174.WA.01 12174.WE.01 12174.WE.02 12174.YN.01 12174.YN.02 Color Dyes Identified light medium brown (USZO) light medium brown (USZO) brown/black purple (440) with red fibers blended in off white/yellowed (OITHL) medium brown/orange (469) Count 10 32 34 Fiber Content wool wool wool wool wool Function warp weft weft sewing - diagonal row sewing - two stitches at corner Spin Direction s s s ssZ s Twist Level high med med med high Yarn Structure single single single 2-ply single