Shield / Shield Boss of Junius Dubitatus / Curved, rectangular shield boss, decorated with figs. of Mars, the four seasons, an eagle with olive branch, and the legion's emblem a bull (bot.) / Roman; creation date: Early 2nd century
About this Item
- View Title
- Curved, rectangular shield boss, decorated with figs. of Mars, the four seasons, an eagle with olive branch, and the legion's emblem a bull (bot.)
- Discovery location: Tyne and Wear, England (United Kingdom)
- Repository: British Museum (London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom)
- Legacy Media/Technique
- Tinned brass
- 30 x 26 cm (11.81 x 10.24 inches)
- Shields (Armor)
- Tyne and Wear, England (United Kingdom)
- Ares (Greek deity)
- Mars (Roman deity)
- Work Record ID
- Image Record ID
- Classification Filing Number
- History of Art, VRC Image Bank
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the Department of the History of Art. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
History of Art Department, Visual Resource Collections. Image 925843. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. URL: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/h/hart/x-925843/1. January 29, 2023.