|Author:||Hieron, Samuel, 1576?-1617.|
|Title:||A helpe vnto deuotion: containing certain moulds or forms of prayer, fitted to seuerall occasions; & penned for the furtherance of those, who haue more desire then skil, to poure out their soules by petitions vnto God. By Sam. Hieron.|
|Publication info:||Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Library
2011 April (TCP phase 2)
This keyboarded and encoded edition of the work described above is co-owned by the institutions providing financial support to the Early English Books Online Text Creation Partnership. Searching, reading, printing, or downloading EEBO-TCP texts is reserved for the authorized users of these project partner institutions. Permission must be granted for subsequent distribution, in print or electronically, of this text, in whole or in part. Please contact project staff at firstname.lastname@example.org for further further information or permissions.
A helpe vnto deuotion: containing certain moulds or forms of prayer, fitted to seuerall occasions; & penned for the furtherance of those, who haue more desire then skil, to poure out their soules by petitions vnto God. By Sam. Hieron.
Hieron, Samuel, 1576?-1617.
Imprinted at London: by H[umphrey]. L[ownes]. for Samuel Macham, and are to be solde at his shop in Pauls Church-yard at the signe of the Bull-head, 1608.
To the right Worship∣full the Lady Mary Strode, of Newingham in Deuon.
To the Christian Reader.
A short Aduertis∣ment, touching Prepa∣ration before Praier. In which is shewed
2 The manner of Preparation stands in
1. A Morning Prayer, for pri∣uate Families.
2. An Euening Prayer for priuate Families.
3. A Morning Prayer for a priuate Person.
4. An Euening Prayer for a priuate Person.
5. A more particular Morning Prayer on the beginning of a Sab∣bath day.
6. Another Prayer some∣thing more speciall, respecting the hearing of Gods word.
7. Another of the like na∣ture, respecting the Sacrament of the Lordes Supper.
8. Presently after Re∣ceiuing, before the Thankesgi∣uing by the whole Congre∣gation, a man may secretly lift vp his soule on this fashion.
9. A Prayer for the afflicted in what kind soeuer.
13. A Prayer, in re∣spect of some losse re∣ceiued, as of honour, or goods, &c.
11. A Prayer, fitted to the losse of an especiall friend, as a Father or Husband, &c.
12. A Prayer applyed to the state of a man inwardly perplext with the horror of sin, with doubtings of Gods fauour, & with the ten∣tations of sathan tending to despaire.
13. A Prayer, then needfull, when a man hath some speciall combate with some one or moe special sinnes, against which hee desireth victory.
14. A Prayer of Humiliation and sorrow, after some special sinne committed.
11. A Prayer in respect of death, needful at all times but especially in sickenesse.
16. A Prayer more speci∣ally fitted to the state and occa∣sions of a sicke person.
17. A direction for those who desire to performe the Chri∣stian duety of prayer on the be∣halfe of a sick friend or neighbor whom they come to visite.
18. A thankesgiuing for a sicke man, if God be pleased to send recouery.
19. A Prayer for a woman in the time of her trauaile.
20. A Thankesgiuing after deliuery.
21. A Prayer for those which are employed in the assistance & helpe of a trauailing woman.
22. A Thankesgiuing after, when God hath bles∣sed their paines in the wo∣mans deliuerie.
23. A Prayer for a Souldier, fighting for his Countrey, or the confe∣derates thereof.
24. A Prayer for a man trauailing by Sea, a∣bout his lawfull businesse.
25. A Prayer applyed to the state and condition of a malefa∣tor, condemned by law to dy, and drawing neere to the time of his execution.
26. A Prayer rising out of the serious meditation of the last Iudgement.
27. A Prayer fitted to the time of warre.
28. Another of like nature, respecting the time of Dearth and Famine.
29. Another like, ap∣plyed to the time of some great contagion.
30. A Meditation or Prayer necessary for a poore man.
31. Another of like nature, fit for one whom God hath enriched vvith outvvard things.
32. A Prayer for the whole State.
A Table of the Prayers contained in this Booke.