The lineage of locusts or the Popes pedegre. Beginning with his prime ancestor the Divell, plainely set forth to be noted of all good Christians and true Catholicks, for the avoiding of those subtill snares continually layd for them by his insinuating agents.
How to cite | |
[illustration] Come, come all you that are with ROME offended,Come now and heare from whence the Pope descended▪
Come, come all you that are with ROME offended,
Come now and heare from whence the Pope descended▪
THE LINEAGE OF LOCUSTS OR THE POPES PEDEGRE Beginning with his prime ancestor the Divell, plainely set forth to be noted of all good Christians and true Catholicks, for the avoiding of those subtill snares continually layd for them by his insinuating Agents.
- 1. THe Divell begat darknesse.
- 2. And darknesse begat ignorance.
- 3. And ignorance begat error and his brethren.
- 4. And error and his brethren begat free-will and selfe love.
- 5. And selfe-love begat merits.
- 6. And merits begat forgetfulnes of Gods grace.
- 7. And forgetfulnes of Gods grace begat mistrust.
- 8. And mistrust begat satisfaction.
- 9. And satisfaction begat facrifice of the Masse.
- 10. And sacrifice of the Masse begat Popish priest-hood.
- 11. And Popish priesthood begat prayer for the dead.
- 12. And prayer for the dead begat sacriledge of soules.
- 13. And sacriledge of soules begat superstition.
- 14. And superstition begat hypocrisie the king.
And these are foureteene Generations.
- 1. ANd hypocrisie the king begat lucre.
- 2. And lucre begat purgatory.
- 3. And purgatory begat foundation of irreligious houses.
- 4. And foundation of irreligious houses begat patrimonie of the Church.
- 5. And patrimonie of the Church begat māmon of Iniquity.
- 6. And mammon of iniquitie begat abundance.
- 7. And abundance begat crueltie.
- 8. And cruelty begat domination.
- 9. And domination begat pompe.
- 10. And pompe begat ambition.
- 11. And ambition begat intrusion into the Church right.
- 12. And intrusion into the Church right begat symonie.
- 13. And simonie begat universall superintendencie.
- 14. And universall superintendencie begat the Pope, the Cardinalls and all his brethren.
And these are foureteene Generations, in the transmigration of abhomination.
- 1. ANd the Pope begat the mysterie of iniquity.
- 2. And the mistery of iniquity begat divine sophistrie.
- 3. And divine sophistrie begat rejection of the Scri∣pture.
- 4. And rejection of the Scripture begat tyranny.
- 5. And tyranny begat murder of the Saints.
- 6. And murder of the Saints begat the despising of God.
- 7. And the despising of God begat dispensation.
- 8. And dispensation begat licence to sinne.
- 9. And licence to sinne begat abomination.
- 10. And abomination begat confusion.
- 11. And confusion begat travell in the spirit.
- 12. And travell in the spirit begat disputation.
- 13. And disputation begat matter to write of:
By which writing the sonne of perdition Antichrist specified in so many places of Scripture was revealed.
The Protestants Conclusion.
THe Pope, himselfe (the simple to beguile)
Servum servorum Dei doth instile,
The servant of Gods servants, who (we finde)
To seeme his masters better is inclin'd,
Christ humble was, humility requiring,
The Pope is prowd to honour still aspiring,
Christ was content to weare a crowne of Thornes,
But the Popes head a crowne of gold adornes,
A triple crowne which hardly him sufficeth
But of his foule ambition what ariseth?
Hunc capit infernus, quem deserit ordo supernus.
Forsaken by the Quire supernall,
Hee's taken by the fiends infernall,
For let false Catholicks say what they can
Hee's neither God nor angell, nor a man,
But a prodigious beast or monster fell
With all his brood hatch'd or begot in hell,
And so I leave him.