Spiritual refining: or A treatise of grace and assurance Wherein are handled, the doctrine of assurance. The use of signs in self-examination. How true graces may be distinguished from counterfeit. Several true signs of grace, and many false ones. The nature of grace under divers Scripture notions or titles, as regeneration, the new-creature, the heart of flesh, vocation, sanctification, &c. Many chief questions (occasionally) controverted between the orthodox and the Arminians. As also many cases of conscience. Tending to comfort and confirm saints. Undeceive and convert sinners. Being CXX sermons preached and now published by Anthony Burgess sometime fellow of Emanuel Colledge in Cambridge, and now pastor of the church of Sutton-Coldfield in Warwickshire.
Burgess, Anthony, d. 1664.
- HEart: To turn to God with the whole of it, what it means, 479, &c.
- Rending of the Heart requisite to conversion, with the meaning of this phrase, and others equivalent, 489, &c.
- A rent one preferred by God above all out∣ward signs of humiliation, 493
- Of man under Gods dominion, 506
- Of stone in all men naturally, and what it signifies, 511, &c.
- Of flesh bestowed in coversion, 516
- What it implies, 517
- Its effects and consequents, 518
- Inducements to labour for it, 521
- Its counterfeits, 523
Heathens, Natural principles appeared in their
- Books, 346
- Laws, 347
- Worship and terrours of minde, 348
- Commendable improvements, 349
- with the concernment of this Do∣ctrine, 352
- Natural Excellencies reach not to grace, 353
- Natural honesty and righteousness, not grace, ib.
Heaven or Glory, the nature of it, 665
- Adjuncts and Properties of it, 668
Holiness, vid. Sanctification. Federal Holiness, vid. Covenant.
- They that are called should be holy as God is, 659, 663
- Wherein true Holiness consists, 660
- The extent of the duty of being holy in all man∣ner of conversation, 662
Hypocrites, Whether they may attain to an ex∣perimental knowledge, 12
- How far they may go in it, 131
- Wherein as to this knowledge they differ from the true Christian, 15