Spiritual refining: or A treatise of grace and assurance Wherein are handled, the doctrine of assurance. The use of signs in self-examination. How true graces may be distinguished from counterfeit. Several true signs of grace, and many false ones. The nature of grace under divers Scripture notions or titles, as regeneration, the new-creature, the heart of flesh, vocation, sanctification, &c. Many chief questions (occasionally) controverted between the orthodox and the Arminians. As also many cases of conscience. Tending to comfort and confirm saints. Undeceive and convert sinners. Being CXX sermons preached and now published by Anthony Burgess sometime fellow of Emanuel Colledge in Cambridge, and now pastor of the church of Sutton-Coldfield in Warwickshire.
Burgess, Anthony, d. 1664.
- MEn apt to Deceive themselves that after a wicked life may follow a happy death, 364
- The ground of this Deceit, 365
- Motives to beware this self-deceiving, 367
Delayes of turning to God, whence men are prone to it, 453
- Arguments against, and the danger of it, 454, 455, &c.
- Directions to the getting of the New-creature, 280
Vain Disputations how to be prevented, 7
Disputes and opinions in Religion no evi∣dence of grace, 124
- VVhen lawful, 125
- Their insufficiency as evidence, 127
- Disputes and opinions in Religion no evi∣dence of grace, 124
Vain-Disputes establish not the heart as grace doth, 316
- May be several wayes abused, 317
- How they may be rightly used, 320
- Duties. Spiritual performance of them a sign of grace, 90
Duty of a son of God, 239
- Signs of men performing Duties from a new Spirit within, 542