Spiritual refining: or A treatise of grace and assurance Wherein are handled, the doctrine of assurance. The use of signs in self-examination. How true graces may be distinguished from counterfeit. Several true signs of grace, and many false ones. The nature of grace under divers Scripture notions or titles, as regeneration, the new-creature, the heart of flesh, vocation, sanctification, &c. Many chief questions (occasionally) controverted between the orthodox and the Arminians. As also many cases of conscience. Tending to comfort and confirm saints. Undeceive and convert sinners. Being CXX sermons preached and now published by Anthony Burgess sometime fellow of Emanuel Colledge in Cambridge, and now pastor of the church of Sutton-Coldfield in Warwickshire.
Burgess, Anthony, d. 1664.
- PArts, vid. Gifts.
- Peaceable frame of heart, no evidence of grace, 174
Performance, vid. Duties.
Perswasion of the truths in Religion, no evi∣dence for salvation, 167
- Gods love no sign of grace, 174
Practical Knowledge, viz. Knowledge.
Presumption, How differenced from assurance, 27
- Remedies against it, 3•
Principles as well as actions to be regarded, 10
- Grace within will appear in the life, 543 followed by acting grace, makes happy, 552
- Priviledges, vid. Church.
- Of a childe of God, 242
- Prosperity no sign of grace within, 180
- Page [unnumbered]Promise of conversion an absolute free promise, 574
- Purposes and resolutions of turning to God, sometimes unsuccessfull with the account of it, 437