Spiritual refining: or A treatise of grace and assurance Wherein are handled, the doctrine of assurance. The use of signs in self-examination. How true graces may be distinguished from counterfeit. Several true signs of grace, and many false ones. The nature of grace under divers Scripture notions or titles, as regeneration, the new-creature, the heart of flesh, vocation, sanctification, &c. Many chief questions (occasionally) controverted between the orthodox and the Arminians. As also many cases of conscience. Tending to comfort and confirm saints. Undeceive and convert sinners. Being CXX sermons preached and now published by Anthony Burgess sometime fellow of Emanuel Colledge in Cambridge, and now pastor of the church of Sutton-Coldfield in Warwickshire.
Burgess, Anthony, d. 1664.
SECT. V. Treating of the nature of Grace under the name New-creature, with the Counterfeit of it.
- SERMON XL. Gal. 6. 15. For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision or uncircumcision availeth any thing, but a new-creature. Shewing the Necessity of the New-creature.
- SERMON XLI. Sheweth, That the Production of the New-creature is from God alone, and what Attributes are conspicuous in the work.
- SERMON XLII. Shewing what the New-creature doth not imply, and to what it is opposed.
- Page [unnumbered] SERMON XLIII. Concerning the supernaturality and excellent Qualities of the New-creature.
- SERMON XLIV. Answering those carnall Objections men are apt to make against such a change in themselves.
- SERMON XLV. Shewing the Counterfeit of the New-creature.