The theorike and practike of moderne vvarres discoursed in dialogue vvise. VVherein is declared the neglect of martiall discipline: the inconuenience thereof: the imperfections of manie training captaines: a redresse by due regard had: the fittest weapons for our moderne vvarre: the vse of the same: the parts of a perfect souldier in generall and in particular: the officers in degrees, with their seuerall duties: the imbattailing of men in formes now most in vse: with figures and tables to the same: with sundrie other martiall points. VVritten by Robert Barret. Comprehended in sixe bookes.
Barret, Robert, fl. 1600.
- Maniple, is a part of so many rankes and files of souldiers thoroughout a battell or squadron of pikes, drawne foorth to march thorough any straight or narrow passage.
- Maestre del Campo, vvith the Spaniards, is as our Coronell vvith vs.
- Mayordome, is vvith the Italian and Spaniard, the steward of a house; but in vvar he is the stew∣ard and Guardian of the munition for vvarre.
- Moderne warre, is the new order of vvarre vsed in our age,
- Miditerraneall, is Inland countrie, or countries distant from the sea.
- Maritime, is sea coast countrie, or countries adioyning vnto the sea.