A SUBSCRIPTION for the infirmary, a highly beneficial institution to the northern counties, which appears to have been first projected by Mr. Richard Lambert k, an eminent surgeon at Newcastle, was opened on the 9th of February, 1751.
Page 413At a general meeting of the subscribers on the 21st of April follow∣ing, statutes, &c. were confirmed, and it was resolved to carry the charity into immediate execution. For this purpose a temporary house, situated in Gallow-Gate, in the suburbs of Newcastle, capable of con∣taining 23 beds, was hired, and application directed to be made to the corporation of that town, for a piece of ground on the Firth-Banks, on which the projected infirmary was to be erected l.
April 13th, 1751, subscriptions for the new infirmary were opened, and at the same time the physicians, surgeons, apothecary, secretary, matron and servants were chosen.
Between August 16th, 1751, and the finishing of the new building, thirty or forty patients were kept in the Gallow-Gate house, and some additional apartments in the neighbourhood, and supplied with proper advice, medicine, and diet,
Page 414June 20th, 1751, the corporation of Newcastle subscribed 100l. per annum to the infirmary, and directed that it should be supplied with water from the pipe that feeds their pant, or public fountain, near New-Gate m.
September 5th, 1751, the first stone of the new building was laid by the Bishop of Durham, grand visitor, attended by a great number of gen∣tlemen who were assembled at the anniversary meeting of the Sons of the Clergy at Newcastle. A plate of copper was fixed on the stone, with the following inscription: "The foundation of this infirmary was laid on the 5th day of September, in the 25th year of the reign of King George the Second, 1751, by the Right Revd Joseph, Lord Bishop of Durham, grand visitor."—On the reverse, "The ground was given by the corporation of Newcastle, Ralph Sowerby, Esq. mayor, William Clayton, Esq. sheriff n."
This building was opened for the reception of patients, October 8th, 1752 o.
It was computed to have cost above three thousand pounds.
The receipt for the first year, ending April 6th, 1752, amounted to 2643l. 1s. 2½d. when it appeared that 133 patients had been cured p.
June 27th, 1753, was held the anniversary meeting of the subscri∣bers to this charity: the Earl of Northumberland, Lord Ravensworth, Sir Walter Blackett, Bart. George Bowes, Esq. and Henry Partis, Esq. mayor of Newcastle, presidents; Sir Thomas Clavering, Bart. Sir Henry Page 415 Grey, Bart. Matthew Ridley, Esq. and Matthew White, Esq. vice-pre∣sidents, with a great number of governors and contributors, met at the Exchange in Newcastle, and proceeded from thence with the stewards to St. Nicholas' church, where a sermon q was preached on the occasion by the Rev. Dr. Parker, vicar of Elwick, in the county of Durham r.
Friday, October 18th, 1754, being St. Luke's day, the chapel of this infirmary, dedicated to that Evangelist, and the burying-ground adjoining, were consecrated by the Bishop of Durham.
A sermon was preached on this occasion by the Rev. Mr. Dockwray, fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, and lecturer of St. Nicholas' in Newcastle.
Mrs. Byne presented a silver flaggon, and Lady Musgrave two pieces of silver-plate, being a legacy left by Mrs. Hilton, for the use of the chapel s.
About the year 1758 Sir Walter Blackett, Bart. gave a thousand pounds to this charity, and appropriated ten pounds per annum, part of the interest of that sum, to a chaplain, to perform divine service, and visit the sick in this house t.
A. D. 1761, a design was in agitation to build an Inoculation-Hos∣pital, as an appendage to this infirmary; but this generous intention, by whatever means, was frustrated v.
February 19th, 1763, mention occurs of a benefaction in the will of the late Mrs. Elizabeth Davison of Durham, for the relief of such miserable persons as should be dismissed as incurable from this infir∣mary w.
A. D. 1770, Mr. Joseph Saint was appointed treasurer of this in∣firmary, on the death of Mr. Joseph Airey x.
In the year 1778 there was a benefaction of 100l. given by Mr. John Pemberton to the infirmary of Newcastle y.
A. D. 1782, a legacy of 100l. to this hospital, by the late Mrs. Mary Buck z.
The same year a legacy of 50l. to this charity by the late Mrs. Pul∣leine a.
A. D. 1783, Aubone Surtees, junior, Esq. was appointed treasurer, on the death of Mr. Joseph Saint b.
October 5th, 1786, the Duke of Northumberland was chosen presi∣dent in the place of the late Duke his father.