What Inn-holders may allow Soldiers quartered on them, instead of Meat. Abstracted from the Act in that case made and Provided.
PROVIDED always, That in case any inn-holder, or other person on whom any non-commission officers or private men shall be quar∣tered, by virtue of this Act, (except on a march, or employed in recruiting, and likewise except the recruits by them raised, for the space of seven days at most for such non-commissioned officers and soldiers who are recruiting, and recruits by them raised), shall be desirous to furnish such non-commission officers, or soldiers, with candles, vinegar and salt, and with either small-beer or cyder, not exceeding five pints for each man per diem, gratis, and allow to each non-commission officers or soldiers the use of fire, and the neces∣sary utensils for dressing and eating their meat, and shall give notice of such his desire to the commanding-officer, and shall furnish and allow the same accordingly; then, and in such case, the non-commission officers and soldiers so quar∣tered shall provide their own victuals; and the officer to whom it belongs to receive, or that does actually receive the pay and subsistence of such non commission officers and soldiers, shall pay the several sums herein after-mentioned, to be payable out of the subsistence-money for diet and small-beer, to the non-commission officers and soldiers aforesaid, and not to the inn-holder, or Page 60 other person on whom such non-commission offi∣cers and soldiers are quartered; any thing here∣in contained to the contrary notwithstanding.
Rates of Subsistence to be paid to Inn-keepers, &c for Soldiers' Quarters.
- For a commission officer of horse, being under the degree of a captain, for such officer's diet and small-beer, per diem, 2 s.
- For one commission officer of dragoons, being un∣der the degree of a captain, for such officer's diet and small-beer, per diem, 1 s.
- For one commission officer of foot, under the de∣gree of a captain, for such officer's diet and small-beer, per diem, 1 s. and if such office• shall have a horse, or horses, for each horse or horses, for their hay and straw, per diem, 6 d.
- For one light-horseman's diet and small-beer per diem, 6 d. and hay and straw for his horse per diem, 6 d.
- For one dragoon's diet and small-beer, per diem 6 d. and hay and straw for his horse, per diem 6 d.
- For one foot soldier's diet and small-beer, pe• diem, 4 d.
N. B. Persons aggrieved by being quartere• on, may complain to any Justice, and be re¦lieved.