Manuscripts Division William L. Clements Library University of Michigan
Finding aid for Edwin S. Atwood Stable Register, 1910-1912
Finding aid created by Erin Platte and Meg Hixon, December 2012
Title: Edwin S. Atwood stable register Creator: Edwin S. Atwood & Co. Inclusive dates: 1910-1912 Extent: 1 volume Abstract:
This register contains records for Edwin S. Atwood & Co., a stable that rented horses and vehicles to customers around Northeast Harbor, Maine, in the early 20th century.
Language: The material is in English Repository: William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan
909 S. University Ave. The University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190 Phone: 734-764-2347 Web Site: www.clements.umich.edu
Access and Use
The collection is open for research.
Copyright status is unknown
Cataloging funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC). This collection has been processed according to minimal processing procedures and may be revised, expanded, or updated in the future.
Edwin S. Atwood Stable Register, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan
Edwin S. Atwood was born in Brewer, Maine, in February 1869, the son of Fred R. Atwood and Hattie A. Hathorn. He married Venia T. Rogers, also of Brewer, on June 1, 1893. The couple moved to Mount Desert Island, Maine, before 1900 and had one daughter, Lucy. In Mount Desert Island, Atwood owned the Edwin S. Atwood & Co. livery stable, which rented horses and vehicles. Edwin S. Atwood died after 1940.
Collection Scope and Content Note
This register (500 pages) contains 250 pages of records pertaining to Edwin S. Atwood & Co., a stable that rented horses and vehicles to customers around Northeast Harbor, Maine, in the early 20th century.
Individual entries are written in pre-printed rows and columns, custom-made for Atwood; each entry is a row that spans 2 pages. Records state the driver's name, time of departure, and time of return; the horse's name and type of rented vehicle (e.g. buckboard, run about, cut [cut under], buggy, and surrey); the customer's name and pickup location; the reason for the hire; the price; and any remarks, usually about payment. Some customers paid with checks. The stable rented vehicles for local journeys, such as trips to the Episcopal Church and to the boat dock, as well as longer excursions to places like Ellsworth, a distance of about 25 miles. A few customers were referred to as "transients" or "strangers." The records cover June 11, 1910-October 9, 1910 (pp. 1-92); June 12, 1911-October 9, 1911 (pp. 93-178); and June 4, 1912-September 6, 1912 (pp. 179-250).