Albert Davis papers  1861-1874 (bulk 1861-1864)
full text File Size: 14 K bytes


Albert Davis (1842-1908) was born in Upton, Massachusetts, to Daniel Davis and Angelina Leland. He was one of five children, though only his younger sister Angeline Louisa lived to adulthood. Albert enlisted in the Union Army on July 30, 1861, and served with the 15th Massachusetts Regiment, Co. G, for almost three years. He was wounded in the right forearm at the Battle of Antietam, and spent over five months at convalescent camps and hospitals. Shortly after returning to his regiment, he became ill with "Lung Fever" for several months. He was so sick that fellow soldiers William T. Moore and Sergeant George N. Wheelock wrote Albert's letters home for him during this period. Albert rejoined his regiment in late May 1863, and participated in the battles of Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg. Albert was one of only nine men from his regiment not captured or killed at Petersburg on June 23, 1864. Davis was then transferred to the 20th Massachusetts Regiment, Co. E, where he served the last nine months of his military service. He was discharged on May 5, 1865.

Albert Davis was married twice. His first wife was Almira F. Adair, the daughter of William and Mary B. Adair. She died in 1871 at the age of twenty-one. Albert and his second wife Laura A. (1856-1891) had two daughters: Myra L. Davis (1876-1897) and Olive M. Davis (1878-1904). After the Civil War ended Albert returned to Upton, Massachusetts, and worked as a boot maker. In 1886, he visited several Civil War battlefields, including Gettysburg, Antietam, and Ball's Bluff, with a group of fellow veterans. He was a member of the Upton Volunteer Fire Department, and served as Fire Chief from 1882-1886. He died in 1908, and is buried in Lakeview Cemetery in Upton.

Angeline Leland Davis, Albert's mother, was born on August 25, 1812, in Worcester, Massachusetts, to Eliab Leland and Perley (Pearly) Adams. She married Daniel Davis of Upton, Massachusetts, in 1835. They had five children, but only Albert and his sister Angeline Louisa (b. 1846) survived to adulthood. She was widowed around 1856.

Angeline Louisa Davis, Albert's younger sister, was born April 7, 1846. She was 15 years old when Albert began his Civil War service, and 19 years old when he came home. The 1860-1900 census records list her as unmarried and living in Upton, Massachusetts, with her mother. Her occupation is listed as a teacher in 1870, and as a dressmaker in 1900.

Two fellow soldiers wrote letters for Davis during his convalescence in March 1863. One was William T. Moore, from Worcester, who was wounded at Antietam and Gettysburg, but survived the war. The other was George N. Wheelock, a 23-year-old farmer from Grafton, Massachusetts, who was a sergeant in Davis' Company. Wheelock died several months later at the Battle of Gettysburg. Albert Davis mentioned Wheelock's death on July 4, 1863.