Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Pennsylvaniabiographical sketches -1901; 1964 (bulk )
The Grand Army of the Republic was a fraternal organization for veterans of the Union forces who served during the Civil War. On April 6, 1866, several former officers formally chartered Post 1, located in Decatur, Illinois, and others soon followed. Each state or territory fell under the jurisdiction of a single department. By 1887, the organization included over 6,300 posts and 355,000 members. Post 228 was named for Colonel John A. Koltes, a member of the 73rd Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment who died during the Second Battle of Bull Run. The post's headquarters were located at 236-238 George Street in Philadelphia, and many of its members were German immigrants.