St. Michael's and Zion Lutheran Church Pew Register and Index [1770s?], 1834-1853
Thousands of German Lutherans traveled to Philadelphia in the first half of the 18th century. These immigrants relied on Swedish ministers to provide religious services until 1742 when Heinrich Melchior Mühlenberg became the first German pastor of the congregation in Philadelphia. The St. Michael's church was established the following year. The building was unable to accommodate the quickly growing congregation and so the members constructed a second building, the Zion Church. The new church began service in 1769.