Cataloging funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC). This collection has been processed according to minimal processing procedures and may be revised, expanded, or updated in the future.
Ann Arbor (Mich.) Rent Receipt Ledger, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan
The owner of this account book leased domestic and commercial properties in Ann Arbor, Michigan, from the late 1880s to the early 1890s. The landlord's properties included homes, sometimes divided into suites of rooms, and storefronts.
The Ann Arbor (Mich.) rent receipt ledger contains 40 pages of financial accounts pertaining to domestic and commercial properties leased between May 1887 and January 1892. Most entries list the amount of rent due on a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis, and record payments in cash or (rarely) in labor or trade. Tenets frequently leased properties in the "Buchoz Block" on Detroit Street. The landlord also rented rooms in the E. W. Morgan House on the northeast corner of Huron Street and Fifth Street (now Fifth Avenue). The ledger also records land rented for a marble shop and a lumber yard, as well as lots for pasture.