Correspondence,   1944-1946, and undated
full text File Size: 16 K bytes | Add this to my bookbag



Lloyd W. Thompson was born in Emmet County, Michigan, in 1911 and enlisted on April 8, 1942 in Traverse City, Michigan. His enlistment form describes him as single, a gas and oil man, with 3 years of high school. He enlisted for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to the law. Prior to February 1945, Lloyd was in the 83rd Field Artillery at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. By Feb. 1945 he was Sergeant of the Motor Pool at Camp Butner, North Carolina, a Prisoner of War Camp. By May he was considered ranking sergeant. Lloyd spent most of his time searching, transporting, and dealing with Prisoners of War (POWs) and the various vehicles used to transport and guard them. Following VE Day (May 9, 1945), his work load increased due to the large numbers of POWs being processed through his and other nearby camps and depots. By June 12, 1945, at his request, he became a member of the Guard Company and was no longer Motor Sergeant. Between July 6 and 17, 1945 he went home to be with Lillian when she gave birth to David Lloyd Thompson on July 15, 1945. Unfortunately, not all of his papers were properly signed so he was fined three months of pay when he returned to camp. Lloyd avoided telling Lillian about this until October 30th, when he was forced to confess the situation due to his limited finances. This situation sorely tried Lillian, who must have threatened divorce in her return letter, which is no longer extant. Following VJ Day (August 14, 1945) his work increased yet again as thousands of prisoners were processed in and out of North Carolina going to England while numerous GIs were also shipped there from overseas before they were discharged. On September 5 Lloyd moved to the Prisoner of War Camp at Hendersonville, North Carolina, as acting Motor Sgt. Between September 5 and November 1st, Lloyd and other GIs worked to process prisoners in and out of camp, take apart camp buildings, load up and move supplies including furniture, cooking equipment, clothes, bedding, and other materials. On November 1st he returned to Camp Butner where he continued the same activities. His discharge orders came on December 29th, 1946 and he finally left camp on January, 14, 1947, at which time he was in charge of twelve men heading to Fort Sheridan. His plan was to travel from the processing center there to Chicago, Detroit, and finally to Petoskey.

Lillian Janetta and Lloyd were married on September 5, [probably in 1944]. Their son, David Lloyd Thompson was born on July 15, 1945. Lloyd’s mother, M. Thompson, and sister, Mary Ellen, lived in Harper Springs, Michigan, 1944-1946. Other relatives mentioned in the letters are Helen, Bob, Merle, Eileen and Irene Thompson, and Ella Janetta, Pete, and Lillian’s Grandma who lived in Durham, North Carolina. Further information is not available on the Thompsons.