Stacy Family Papers,   1830-1915, and undated
full text File Size: 40 K bytes | Add this to my bookbag



Consider A. Stacy: Consider A. Stacy was born in Hamilton (Madison County, New York) on January 6, 1817, the son of Dr. Consider H. (died 1840) and Mrs. Polly Stacy (1795-1876). He attended the local school until he was eleven years old and then Hamilton Academy for four years. In his spare time, he mixed pills in his father’s drug-store and attended to the post office, Dr. Stacy being at that time Postmaster.

In March 1834, Consider commenced the study of law with Peter Morey at Eaton, New York. In August 1836, Consider followed Morey to Tecumseh, Michigan, where he completed his law studies and subsequently became Morey’s partner. In 1838, Consider was elected Justice of the Peace, serving for four years. In 1839, he became the partner of Fernando C. Beaman. In 1844, Consider was elected Judge of the Probate Court of Lenawee County, and was twice re-elected, serving for a total of twelve years. In 1845, he formed a partnership with Thomas M. Cooley which continued for three years. In 1849, Consider was appointed Prosecuting Attorney of Lenawee County, holding office until the new state constitution of 1850 took effect. Later, Consider was appointed to the State Board of Education. As such, he helped to organize the State Normal School at Ypsilanti and to erect the first building for its use.

Consider served on the School Board of Tecumseh for 26 years, serving variously as moderator and director. He helped consolidate three separate school districts in the village into Union District. In 1852, he entered into a law partnership with Edwin B. Wood, of Tecumseh, which continued for twenty years. In 1858, Consider was the Democratic nominee for Congress in his Congressional district. He was defeated. In 1867, Consider and his son, Scovel C. Stacy, formed a partnership under the firm name of C. A. and S. C. Stacy. In January 1870, the firm moved its office to Adrian, Michigan.

Until 1872, Consider continued to work at his Adrian law office. He then became the law partner of William A. Underwood, with whom he stayed for about seven years. He then formed a partnership with his younger son, James A. Stacy, which lasted until James’ death in April 1881. Consider closed his Adrian office in the winter of 1883-1884 in order to focus all of his attention on his practice in Tecumseh. In June 1886, Consider was appointed Postmaster of Tecumseh by President Cleveland and confirmed by the Senate. Consider served in this position from August 1886 until his death on November 5, 1888.

Consider Stacy married Miss Maria M. Walker, of Broome County, New York, on August 19, 1838. She was the daughter of David Shapley and Lois Walker. Together, Consider and Maria had seven children, Scovel C., L. Loana, George N., Alphonzo D., James A., and two little girls who died in infancy. Lois E. (1843-1846) and Wealthy R. (1847-1849). The Stacys were actively involved with the Universalist Church in Tecumseh.

Scovel C. Stacy: Scovel C. Stacy was born in Tecumseh, Michigan, on August 2, 1841, the first child of Consider A. and Maria M. (Walker) Stacy. He graduated at age 19 from Tecumseh High School. In September 1860, he entered the State University at Ann Arbor, later the University of Michigan. He excelled in language and rhetorical studies. In his senior year, Scovel was considered one of the best debaters in the college. He was a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon Secret Society, and in his senior year, he joined The Owls. He received his degree in classical studies in June 1864.

After graduation from college, Scovel began to study law in the office of his father, serving as a clerk until October 1867. He then returned to his Alma Mater, and studied for six months in the law department. He also became a prominent member of the Webster Society. Scovel was admitted to the bar in the courts of Lenawee County, Michigan, on May 29, 1868, and to the United States Circuit Court of Detroit, Michigan, on March 25, 1870. Before his admission to the bar, Scovel had begun trying cases in Justice’s Courts and had acted as an attorney in over thirty such trials.

Scovel began his regular practice in partnership with his father, Consider A., the firm being C. A. and S. C. Stacy. This continued until November 1874. Scovel then purchased the Tecumseh Herald, for $1,200. By November 1887, the office had an investment of $9,000 and circulation had grown from 700 to 1,500 subscribers. Scovel purchased the plant of the Addison Courier in August 1885, and that of the Britton Eagle in October 1887. He employed A. J. Kempton as local manager of the Courier and M. S. Hendershott in the same position for the Eagle. Scovel retired from his law practice and entered upon the profession of journalism due to increasing deafness in his later years. He was recognized by his peers as one of the leading journalists of Southern Michigan.

While quite prominent in local politics, Scovel was especially active in the Democratic Party. In April 1866, he was elected Justice of the Peace for the township of Tecumseh and served for four years. During the ensuing ten years, he unsuccessfully ran twice for the Michigan House of Representatives, and twice for Prosecuting Attorney of Lenawee County.

In September 1869, Scovel was chosen to be a School Trustee in the Union District, comprising the village of Tecumseh, and was later elected Director. He resigned in January 1870 to begin his law practice at Adrian. Scovel returned to Tecumseh in the spring of 1871. In April 1871, Scovel was elected Supervisor of Tecumseh Township and was re-elected in the spring of 1872. In September 1872, he was again chosen to be a School Trustee and served as Director of the Board for twelve years, retiring in 1884.

Scovel also served as the Superintendent of the Universalist Church Sunday School for 20 years, and also served as a member of the parish Trustees, often acting as Clerk.

A bachelor, Scovel died on December 11, 1895 at the age of 54

L. Loana Stacy: L. Loana Stacy was born on May 20, 1845, the third child of Consider A. and Maria M. (Walker) Stacy. She was educated at Tecumseh (Mich.) and at St. Mary’s [College?], Indiana, 1864-1866.

In Tecumseh, Loana assisted her father at the local Post Office. Upon his death on Nov. 5, 1888, Loana was appointed Postmaster. She served in this position until at least Nov. 1890. Loana died, single, in 1916.

Alphonzo D. Stacy: Alphonzo David “Phon” Stacy was born on July 11, 1850, the fifth child of Consider A. and Maria M. (Walker) Stacy. He worked as a clerk, bookkeeper, office manager, and editor of the Tecumseh Herald, 1874-1876. He died on December 16, 1876, as a result of severe injuries and trauma, he sustained while leaping from a moving train, where he had deposited some printed material with his sister, into the depot platform. Phon was single at the time of his death.

James A. Stacy: James A. “Lon” Stacy was born on March 4, 1853, the sixth child of Consider A. and Maria M. (Walker) Stacy. He and his brother “Phon” were inseparable as children.

In the spring of 1873, James graduated from Adrian High School. James then took classes in the literary department at the University of Michigan for two years, beginning in the fall of 1873. He left in 1875 to study law with his father. Later, he returned to the university and completed a full law course. He graduated in 1878 and served as President of his class.

Shortly after his return to Adrian, he was admitted to the bar. In 1878 and 1879, he was elected City Attorney. In 1880, he was elected Mayor of Adrian. On April 12, 1881, a few days before his term was to end, James died from bronchial pneumonia. He was a member of Alpha Delta Phi, the Joie de Vie Club, and the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF).

George N. Stacy: George N. Stacy was born on June 18, 1859, the seventh child of Consider A. and Maria M. (Walker) Stacy. He was educated in Tecumseh. In 1884, he married Gertrude Bigelow.

George worked at the Office of the News and Advocate in Elgin, Illinois. Following the death of his brother, Scovel, in 1895, George returned to Tecumseh to take charge of the Tecumseh Herald and the family estate. He worked for six years to clear the family estate from debt. George died on December 13, 1907 and was survived by his wife and sister.