James S. Bradshaw Papers   1904-1990, and Undated
full text File Size: 17 K bytes | Add this to my bookbag

History

Biography:

James Stanford Bradshaw was born to Clarence A. and Stella (Cashdollar) Bradshaw at Campbell, Missouri on December 6, 1921. They later moved to Michigan in 1935. He graduated from Flint Northern High School in 1939. From there, he continued his education at Grand Rapids Junior College in 1941 and subsequently moved into Western Michigan University until drafted into the U.S. Army in 1942.

While in the U.S. Army, Bradshaw, for the most part, conducted payroll duties and served at a few locations in the United States before shipping overseas including Camp Robinson, Arkansas and Camp Fort Meade, Maryland. During his tour in Europe, he was stationed in both France and Germany. During his time overseas, he was a part of the 254th Infantry Regiment. At this time, he earned the Bronze Star and the Combat Infantry Badge.

Once discharged from the Army, Bradshaw furthered his education at the University of Michigan, completing his Bachelor’s and earning his Master’s degrees. Intermittently, he held numerous positions at several newspapers including Grand Rapids Press, Ann Arbor News and Associated Press (AP). While at AP Bradshaw became a foreign correspondent stationed in South America. During this time, he covered President Eisenhower and (then) Vice-President Nixon’s tour and the Cuban Revolution during the 1960s. He met his wife, Joan Rouquette, while in South America. They were married December 18, 1953.

Finished with foreign correspondence, Bradshaw earned his Ph.D. from Michigan State University in 1969. From there he found employment at Central Michigan University (CMU) as an assistant professor in Journalism in 1969. He stayed at CMU for many years and eventually retired as a full professor in 1983. While at CMU he did freelance work for numerous newspapers and journals, most of the articles he submitted pertained to Michigan History or Latin American economics.

James Bradshaw died on August 3, 1990. (This information is from the collection and a statement included with the donation.)