Magnae Britanniae et Hiberniae tabula / Amstelodami Ex Officina et sumptibus Henrici Hondij. Ao. Domini 1631.
About this Item
- Magnae Britanniae et Hiberniae tabula / Amstelodami Ex Officina et sumptibus Henrici Hondij. Ao. Domini 1631.
- Item Description
- Main Entry - Personal Name
- Hondius, Hendrik, 1597-1651. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n82143592 http://viaf.org/viaf/sourceID/LC|n82143592
- Added Entry - Personal Name
- Hondius, Hendrik, 1597-1651. Appendix Atlas of the British Isles and Northern Europe.
- Jansson, Jan, 1588-1664. Appendix Atlas of the British Isles and Northern Europe.
- Vignaud, Henry, 1830-1922, former owner. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n89603539 http://viaf.org/viaf/sourceID/LC|n89603539
- Amsterdam : [s.n.] 1631.
- 1 map : 37 x 51 cm.
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Inset map of Orcades Insulae (the Orkneys). A cherub sits on either side of the inset, each holding a cornucopia.
- Title cartouche has cherubim, vines, suits of armor, and a coat of arms at the top flanked by a unicorn and a lion wearing a crown.
- Vignette at right shows three mermaids, each bearing a flag with a coat of arms on it, and the leftmost one also holds a spiky conch shell. On the left side of the map, one ship fires its cannon at another.
- Date on the map reads 1631 but this map was included in a composite atlas published at a later date.
- This state was published in 1631 by Henricus Hondius.
- From the Appendix Atlas of the British Isles and Northern Europe, title created to represent a unique collection within the Clark Library, University of Michigan.
- Subject Added Entry - Geographic Name
- British Isles Maps Early works to 1800. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh86003202
- Map Data
- Scale [ca. 1:3,200,000] (W 11°00'00"-- E 5°10'00"/N 58°43'00"-- N 49°56'00").
- Coded Cartographic Mathematical Data
- a 3200000 W0110000 E0051000 N0584300 N0495600
- Local note
- Accession no. 43323.
- Manuscript no. 21 of 23 sheets numbered to "49."
- From the "Manuscript Style 3 (Ms3)" set of the Vignaud map collection.
- Includes manuscript "La grande Bretagne et l'Isrlande"in top right corner of the verso.
- Scan Date
- Record No.
- UM Clark Library Maps
- Image Size
- 8840 x 7256
- File Size
- 5 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are believed to be in the public domain in the United States; however, if you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact Clark Library for Maps Digital Collections Help. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
DPLA No Copyright - United States
- More Item Details
- Catalog Record
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Magnae Britanniae et Hiberniae tabula / Amstelodami Ex Officina et sumptibus Henrici Hondij. Ao. Domini 1631.". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/clark1ic/x-010348172/39015091191885_01. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed January 28, 2023.