Africae nova tabula / auct. Jud. Hondio.
About this Item
- Africae nova tabula / auct. Jud. Hondio.
- Item Description
- Main Entry - Personal Name
- Jansson, Jan, 1588-1664. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50036720 http://viaf.org/viaf/sourceID/LC|n50036720
- Added Entry - Personal Name
- Hondius, Jodocus, 1594 or 1595-1629, cartographer. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n80024771 http://viaf.org/viaf/sourceID/LC|n80024771
- Jansson, Jan, 1588-1664. Atlantis Maioris Appendix, 1630.
- Vignaud, Henry, 1830-1922, former owner. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n89603539 http://viaf.org/viaf/sourceID/LC|n89603539
- Amstelodami : Joannis Janssonii, 1630.
- 1 map ; 46 x 56 cm.
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Border includes views of 12 African cities and examples of local costumes, while the map includes illustrations of flying fish and sea monsters on the ocean and animals on the continent.
- The title cartouche includes vines bearing fruit and a face, while the author cartouche has two young children, a skull within a clock topped with a bell, and the date 1623.
- From "Atlantis maioris appendix", Johannes Janssonius, 1630.
- Subject Added Entry - Topical Term
- Cities and towns Africa Views Early works to 1800. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh85026130
- Subject Added Entry - Geographic Name
- Africa Maps Early works to 1800. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh85001531
- Map Data
- Scale [ca. 1:24,000,000] (W 26°35'00"-- E 60°33'00"/N 37°57'00"-- S 34°58'00").
- Coded Cartographic Mathematical Data
- a 24000000 W0263500 E0603300 N0375700 S0345800
- Local note
- Accession no. 10243.
- Manuscript no. 4 of 34 sheets numbered to "62."
- From the "Manuscript Style 2 (Ms2)" set of the Vignaud map collection.
- Conservation job no. 2013.003.
- Scan Date
- Record No.
- UM Clark Library Maps
- Image Size
- 9504 x 7800
- File Size
- 7 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are believed to be in the public domain in the United States; however, if you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact Clark Library for Maps Digital Collections Help. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
DPLA No Copyright - United States
- More Item Details
- Catalog Record
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Africae nova tabula / auct. Jud. Hondio.". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/clark1ic/x-003282765/39015091192412_01. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2022.