The records are open for research with the exception of personnel-related files including search, review, promotion, and tenure files which are restricted for thirty years from date of creation and student educational records which are restricted for seventy-five years from date of creation.
The University of Michigan School of Social Work record group includes restricted material in the following categories:
- Personnel Related Records -- Boxes 29
- Student Academic Records -- Boxes 29
- Executive Officers Records -- Boxes 30-35
Access Restrictions for University of Michigan Records
University records are public records and once fully processed are generally open to research use. Records that contain personally identifiable information will be restricted in order to protect individual privacy. Certain administrative records are restricted in accordance with university policy as outlined below. The restriction of university records is subject to compliance with applicable laws, including the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.
Categories of Restricted Records
- Student educational records : FERPA's protection of personally identifiable information in a student's education records ends at the time of a student's death and therefore is a matter of institutional policy. As a courtesy to the families of recently deceased students who were enrolled at the time of death, the University generally will not release information from their education records for five years without the consent of the deceased student's next of kin. Eighty-five (85) years after the date the records were first created, the University will presume that the student is deceased. Thereafter the student's education records will be open. Student records at the Bentley Historical Library are restricted for eighty-five (85) years, but may also be made available upon proof of the death of the student.
- Executive records : Records generated by the university's executive officers, deans, directors, department heads, and their designated support staff are restricted for twenty (20) years from the date of their creation.
Restricted files are indicated in the contents list of the collection’s finding aid with a restriction note indicating the restriction type and the date of expiration.
For further information on the restriction policy and placing Freedom of Information Act requests for restricted material, consult the reference archivist at the Bentley Historical Library (email@example.com) or the University of Michigan Freedom of Information Office website (https://foia.vpcomm.umich.edu/).
To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS
tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital
formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more
information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.
[item], folder, box, School of Social Work (University of Michigan) Records, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan.