Access and Use
The President's Office (Donor No. 566) makes periodic additions to the records. This record group includes files of presidents beginning with Robben Fleming. Records from presidents prior to Fleming are cataloged under the name of the individual.
Periodic additions to the records are expected.
The President's records are open for research except for certain records restricted by statute or university policy. Restricted material includes personnel-related files, including search, review, promotion, and tenure files; student educational records; client/patient records; and records of executive officers of the university.
The President's record group includes restricted material in the following categories:
- Personnel Related Records -- Boxes 229-230, 268, 285, 326-328, 340-345, 359-360, 371, 380, 385, 390-391, 394, 396, 399, 401, 416, 418, 420, 422, 424, 426, 445-457, 469-474, 514-515, 520-522
- Student Academic Records -- Boxes 229-230, 268, 285, 326-328, 340-345, 355, 366, 370, 376, 386-387, 395-396, 405-406, 410, 416-419, 514-517
- Patient/Client Records -- Boxes 229-230, 268, 285, 326-328, 340-345, 360, 370, 380-381, 385, 390, 401, 411, 421, 469-474, 514-520, 522-523
- Executive Officer Records -- Boxes 262-339, 355-444, 458-465, 475-513, 524-525
Access Restrictions for University of Michigan Records
University records are public records and once fully processed are generally open to research use. Records that contain personally identifiable information will be restricted in order to protect individual privacy. Certain administrative records are restricted in accordance with university policy as outlined below. The restriction of university records is subject to compliance with applicable laws, including the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.
Categories of Restricted Records
- Personnel-related files , including search, review, promotion, and tenure files, are restricted for thirty (30) years from the date of their creation.
- Student educational records : FERPA's protection of personally identifiable information in a student's education records ends at the time of a student's death and therefore is a matter of institutional policy. As a courtesy to the families of recently deceased students who were enrolled at the time of death, the University generally will not release information from their education records for five years without the consent of the deceased student's next of kin. Eighty-five (85) years after the date the records were first created, the University will presume that the student is deceased. Thereafter the student's education records will be open. Student records at the Bentley Historical Library are restricted for eighty-five (85) years, but may also be made available upon proof of the death of the student.
- Executive records : Records generated by the university's executive officers, deans, directors, department heads, and their designated support staff are restricted for twenty (20) years from the date of their creation.
Restricted files are indicated in the contents list of the collection’s finding aid with a restriction note indicating the restriction type and the date of expiration.
For further information on the restriction policy and placing Freedom of Information Act requests for restricted material, consult the reference archivist at the Bentley Historical Library (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the University of Michigan Freedom of Information Office website (https://foia.vpcomm.umich.edu/).
To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.
Copyright is held by the Regents of the University of Michigan but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
During reprocessing of the president's records some material was removed from the record group and boxes consolidated with the result that some box numbers were eliminated. Box numbers from previous versions of the finding aid which have been eliminated are 74-81, 87, 180, 183, 201-203, 209, 231, and 258.
Boxes 74-81, 87, 96, 105, 112, 114-116, 180, 183, 201-203, 209, 231, 258, and 346 were eliminated during reprocessing.
In preparing digital material for long-term preservation and access, the Bentley Historical Library adheres to professional best practices and standards to ensure that content will retain its authenticity and integrity. For more information on procedures for the ingest and processing of digital materials, please see Bentley Historical Library Digital Processing Note. Access to digital material may be provided either as a direct link to an individual file or as a downloadable package of files bundled in a zip file.
item, folder title, box no., President (University of Michigan) Records, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan