News and Information Services (University of Michigan) photograph series D (faculty and staff portraits): 1946-2006 (bulk 1950-1990)
search terms in context | full text File Size: 2880 K bytes | how to request materials

History

The University of Michigan News and Information Services is responsible for preparing press releases about university activities, providing photographs and film of university functions and scholarly announcements to the various news media, and publishing and distributing the University Record and Michigan Today.

News and Information Services has undergone several name and organizational changes throughout its history. Beginning in 1897, the university had a department of information services that performed many of the functions of a press office. In 1930, following the installation of President Alexander G. Ruthven, the university created a News Dissemination Service (often called the University of Michigan News Service). Over the ensuing decades the name of the organization has changed from News Service to Information Services, and finally to News and Information Services. The organizational home of the unit has also changed as it moved from an independent unit to part of the Bureau of Alumni Relations, and later part of the Office of University Relations. It was later part of the office of Vice President for Communications and the photographic department became Michigan Photography.