Thomas M. Spaulding papers: 1901-1969
Thomas M. Spaulding papers
Spaulding, Thomas M. (Thomas Marshall), 1882-1973
2 linear feet
1 oversize folder
8653 Aa 2; Ac
The material is in English
Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Ave.Finding aid created by Michigan Historical Collections staff
Ann Arbor, MI
Home Page: http://www.bentley.umich.edu/
Access and Use
The collection was the gift of Thomas M. Spaulding (donor no. 1752) and came to the library in multiple accessions.
The collection is open to research.
To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.
Copyright is held by the Regents of the University of Michigan but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
[item], folder, box, Thomas M. Spaulding papers, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
Thomas Marshall Spaulding, born 1882 in St. Johns, Michigan, was a graduate of the University of Michigan, College of LS&A, 1902. After graduation, he went to West Point where he received his commission as a second lieutenant in 1905. He was a career army officer until 1936 when he retired with the rank of colonel. During the second World War he was called back for a period of active duty as chief of the records division of the adjutant general's office.
Spaulding and his wife Florence had one child Stephen who died while at the University of Michigan in 1925. As a memorial to his son, Spaulding, upon a proposal from University Librarian William Warner Bishop, began to establish a collection of books for the library. The themes of the collection included military history, English local history as well as liturgical tracts and incunabula.
Through his work on the Stephen Spaulding collection, Spaulding became a bibliophile, collecting and writing on military topics, history, bibliography and American biography. He also wrote on the history of the Cosmos Club of which he was a member and in 1952 its president.
Spaulding died April 11, 1973.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The Thomas M. Spaulding collection has been arranged into the following series: Correspondence and other materials; Biographical and Personal; Organizational Affiliations; Political Materials; Topical Files; Writings; Stephen Tucker Spaulding Materials; and Photographs. The correspondence is of interest for its mention of current affairs, national politics, and the Cosmos Club of Washington, D.C. Of special interest are two volumes of diaries, covering the period of 1941-1944, with detailed comments on the conduct of World War II as viewed from Washington, D.C.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the finding aid database and catalog of The Bentley Historical Library/University of Michigan. Researchers desiring additional information about related topics should search the catalog using these headings.
- Michigan -- Politics and government -- 1929-1938.
- Michigan -- Politics and government -- 1939-1945.
- Michigan -- Politics and government -- 1946-1960.
- Washington (D.C.)
- World War, 1939-1945.
- Michigan -- Politics and government -- 1837-1950.
- Great Britain.
- Cosmos Club (Washington, D.C.)
- Michigan State University.
- Republican Party (Mich.)
- University of Michigan -- Commencements.
- University of Michigan. Library.
- University of Michigan -- Students -- Scholarships, fellowships, etc.
- William L. Clements Library.
- Cosmos Club (Washington, D.C.)
- Fleming, R. W. (Robben Wright), 1916-2010.
- Spaulding, Thomas M. (Thomas Marshall), 1882-
- National Archives (U.S.)
- Adams, Randolph Greenfield, 1892-1951.
- Beta Theta Pi. Lambda Chapter (University of Michigan)
- Bishop, William Warner, 1871-1955.
- Castle, William R. (William Richards), 1878-1963.
- Fairbanks, Avard T. (Avard Tennyson), 1897-1987.
- Karpinski, Louis Charles, 1878-1956.
- Leonard, Irving A. (Irving Albert), 1896-1996.
- McAllister, Samuel Wilson, 1890-
- McMurtrie, Douglas C. (Douglas Crawford), 1888-1944.
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971.
- Peckham, Howard H. (Howard Henry), 1910-1995.
- Pratt, Julius William, 1888-
- Rice, Warner Grenelle, 1899-
- Robbins, Frank Egleston, 1884-
- Ruthven, Alexander Grant, 1882-1971.
- Shaw, Wilfred Byron, 1881-1959.
- Taft, Robert A. (Robert Alphonso), 1889-1953.
- Trevelyan, George Macaulay, 1876-1962.
- Vander Velde, Lewis G. (Lewis George), 1890-1975.
- Warren, Charles.
- Yoakum, Clarence Stone, 1879-1945.