Washtenaw County Historical Society records: 1827-2014
Summary Information
Title: Washtenaw County Historical Society records
Creator: Washtenaw County Historical Society.
Dates: 1827-2014
Extent: 17.5 linear feet (in 18 boxes), 1 oversize folder (UBPl)
Abstract:
Local historical society for Washtenaw County, Michigan Organizational records and collected historical materials.
Call number: 86315 Bp.2 2; UBPl
Language: The material is in English
Repository: Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2113
Phone: 734-764-3482
Fax: 734-936-1333
e-mail: bentley.ref@umich.edu
Home Page: http://www.bentley.umich.edu/
Finding aid created by Michigan Historical Collections staff

Access and Use
Acquisition Information:

The records were deposited by the Society (donor no. 945). Periodic additions have been received.

Access Restrictions:

The record group is open to research.

To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.

Copyright:

Donor(s) have not transferred any applicable copyright to the Regents of the University of Michigan. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.

Preferred Citation:

[item], folder, box, Washtenaw County Historical Society records, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan


History

On December 17, 1857, 19 citizens of Ann Arbor called for "a county convention for the purpose of forming a County Historical Association" to be composed of anyone from the townships who cared to attend. The meeting was held at the Court House for the purpose of organizing a Washtenaw Historical Society. John Geddes became the chair of a committee consisting of one representative from each township plus the city of Ann Arbor. The committee was appointed to draw up a constitution "to awaken an interest in the towns." The group met again on January 13, 1858 to adopt the constitution and elect officers. The Honorable Munnis Kinney of Webster Township was elected president. The object was "to collect and preserve the history of the first settlement and growth of Washtenaw County, and to publish the same from time to time as shall be deemed advisable." No records of meetings beyond 1862 have been found to date. It appears the organization continued and that artifacts and archival material continued to be collected but the Civil War may have been the reason for the suspension of meetings.

In April 1873, the state legislature passed a resolution calling for the collecting and preserving of historical information relating to Michigan which resulted in the formation of the Historical Society of Michigan. This probably led Gen. Edward Clark, President of the Ann Arbor Pioneer & Historical Society to call for a meeting on Aug. 19, 1873 to reactivate the county society. A constitution and by-laws were adopted that same day and we became 'The Pioneer Society of the County Washtenaw." Alpheus Felch, ex-governor of Mich., former Justice of the Peace, former U.S. Senator and a UM law professor was elected president. The object stated this time was "to cultivate social relations, collect and preserve biographical sketches, statistics and historical facts and reminiscences, and to preserve and transmit the same to future generations." Members had to be a resident of the county for at least 20 years and dues were 25 cents a year.

In 1876 the Society was incorporated under state law, dues were to be no less than 25 cents and no more than $3.00, members had to be "not less than 40 years of age, who had resided in the county 25 years." At a meeting in 1883, the Honorable E.P. Allen of Ypsilanti stated, "We are now living in the high noon of the last civilization the world will know until it is burned up, and I do not believe the progress of the fifty years to come will be equal to that of the past half century."

Meetings were held in various locations around the county--at first in alternate months, then quarterly and finally only annually and on special occasions such as the 4th of July. Meetings were an all day affair with a business meeting in the morning, lunch prepared by the local ladies, and then reports and, if time, reminiscences of members. It appears that no meetings were held after 1925.

In 1929, the third constitution was drawn up. A new constitution was necessary because the organizers discovered that the old charter had expired in 1906. By this time the pioneers were getting fewer and fewer. The age and residency requirements were dropped and the name was changed to Washtenaw Historical Society. It was felt that the word county limited the activities of the Society. The objects stated this time were "to foster interest in the history of the Washtenaw Area, and to assemble and preserve in permanent collections all materials relating to that history." In 1943, the dues were $1.00 or one could get a lifetime membership for $50. By 1947, the lifetime membership cost had dropped to $25. There were 24 lifetime members in 1950.

Upon expiration of that charter, the Society reincorporated in 1955. When that charter expired in 1985, we were reincorporated in perpetuity as a non-profit organization and the name was changed to Washtenaw County Historical Society.

Through all of that time the Society never had a home. The need for a permanent site was first expressed in 1874 by William Gregory of Saline. In 1930, Dr. Carl Guthe, president of the Society, stated that "the development and fostering of community memory is the function of the WHS" and "the Society is making definite plans for securing an adequate home for the county's memory." Over the years, many locations were mentioned and some discussed at length.

In 1942, Marie Louise Douglass, daughter of Dr. Silas H. Douglass, bequeathed her home at 502 E. Huron along with real estate owned on E. Washington to the Regents of the University of Michigan "being it expressly provided, however, that it be known as the Washtenaw Historical Museum" and "that the enterprise be conducted as a joint museum for the display of the property of the Washtenaw Historical Museum, under the supervision of the Regents of the University of Michigan, with such cooperation, between the groups as may be desirable to effectuate that purpose." The Society was not specifically mentioned but most interpreted the will to include the Society because many of her personal items were left to the Society. The Regents tentatively accepted the terms and the Society held a special meeting to discuss the proposal. It was felt that $150,000 would be needed. Due to the war, most funds were going to the war effort and the Society decided they could not obtain the needed money so they declined. The committee noted that there were a number of other suitable residences in Ann Arbor that might be purchased or donated with an endowment for upkeep.

In 1955, the Society launched a drive to purchase Cobblestone Farm. They needed to raise $40,000 but were unable to do so. Other sites mentioned were Kempf House (too small), Danforth House at 303 E. Ann (demolished), one of the empty store fronts on Main St. Tuomy House was explored in 1967 (and again in 1996 and yet again in 2005). The fire house was considered but rejected due to lack of parking (sure doesn't seem to be a problem for the Hands-On Museum).

In 1974, Dave Pollack offered to purchase four acres of land on Fleming Creek from Fred Matthaei, Jr. which would include the grist mill and land to build a museum. The Society decided it would be too expensive. The spot, Parker Mill, is now run by the County Parks Commission. One site that almost was successful was the Barton Dam Powerhouse. In 1977, the society signed a lease for the Powerhouse and three acres of land. One problem was the access which was off Barton Shore Drive, a private road in Barton Hills. The city agreed to build a new access road off Whitmore Lake Rd. on land that it would purchase. The access problem, the dampness issue, and the inability to raise the money, not to mention the fact that the city decided to reclaim it to generate electricity, resulted in the loss of yet another potential site. We did hold an exhibit at the powerhouse as a fund raiser. The final chapter in our search began in the late 1980s when the University decided to demolish a home at 1015 Wall St. for a parking lot. When Susan Wineberg heard about it, she wrote a letter to the university planner, Fred Mayer, explaining the significance of the house and asking if they would consider moving it. The original lot on Wall Street was sold to Thomas Peatt by Anson Brown's widow and subsequently sold to Dan Kellogg and Ethan Warden. The rear section of the house was built in 1835 by Dorr, Dwight and Dan Kellogg. The front section was added in 1839 when Charles and his wife came from New York State.

The university offered the house to the city which accepted, then decided six months later that they had no use for it. At that time, Thelma Graves, a board member, suggested to the society president, Karen O'Neal, that the Society try to acquire the house from the University. Through Karen O'Neal's determination, the support of the university, the city's agreement to lease the land and in spite of setbacks, including a determination by the DNR that the soil was contaminated by the gas station previously on the site, the project became a reality. On Sunday, June 10, 1990, the Society's first home, the Museum on Main Street, rolled across the Broadway bridge and was set on cribbing, 133 years after John Geddes called for the formation of a society.

[This text was edited from the Washtenaw County Historical Society web-site]


Collection Scope and Content Note

The Washtenaw County Historical Society records include collected historical documents and photographs relating to the people, events, and history of the county, its cities and townships. There are also administrative records of the organization, including minutes of meetings, subjects relating to Society programs and projects, and financial miscellanea.

Subject Terms

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the finding aid database and catalog of The Bentley Historical Library/University of Michigan. Researchers desiring additional information about related topics should search the catalog using these headings.


  • Ann Arbor (Mich.)
  • Ann Arbor (Mich. : Township)
  • Banks and banking -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
  • Birmingham (Mich.)
  • Bridgewater (Mich. : Township)
  • Dexter (Mich. : Township)
  • Freedom (Mich. : Township)
  • Frontier and pioneer life -- Michigan -- Washtenaw County.
  • Lima (Mich. : Township)
  • Lodi (Mich. : Township)
  • Lyndon (Mich. : Township)
  • Manchester (Mich. : Township)
  • Northfield (Mich. : Township)
  • Pittsfield (Mich. : Township)
  • Railroads -- Michigan -- Washtenaw County.
  • Salem (Washtenaw County, Mich. : Township)
  • Saline (Mich. : Township)
  • Scio (Mich. : Township)
  • Sharon (Washtenaw County, Mich.)
  • Superior (Washtenaw County, Mich. : Township)
  • Sylvan (Washtenaw County, Mich. : Township)
  • United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
  • York (Mich. : Township)
  • Ypsilanti (Mich.)
  • Ypsilanti (Mich. : Township)
  • Ann Arbor (Mich.)
  • Ann Arbor (Mich.) -- Buildings.
  • Ann Arbor (Mich.) -- Churches.
  • Ann Arbor (Mich.) -- Dwellings.
  • Ann Arbor (Mich.) -- Post offices.
  • Buildings -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
  • Buildings -- Michigan -- Washtenaw County.
  • Churches -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
  • Dwellings -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
  • Dwellings -- Michigan -- Washtenaw County.
  • Interiors.
  • Laboratories.
  • Laborers.
  • Manchester (Mich.)
  • Mills.
  • Newspaper carriers.
  • Offices.
  • Post offices -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
  • Saline (Mich.)
  • Sault Sainte Marie (Mich.)
  • United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
  • Washtenaw County (Mich.)
  • Washtenaw County (Mich.) -- Buildings.
  • Washtenaw County (Mich.) -- Dwellings.
  • Women.
  • Ypsilanti (Mich.)
  • Artists -- Michigan -- Washtenaw County.
  • Women artists -- Michigan -- Washtenaw County.
  • Washtenaw County (Mich.)
  • Albums.
  • Ambrotypes.
  • Daguerreotypes.
  • Paintings.
  • Slides.
  • Photographs.
  • Stereographs.
  • Tintypes.
  • Sound recordings.
  • Bank of Washtenaw.
  • Grand Army of the Republic. Welch Post no. 137 (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Ladies Decoration Society (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • McAndrew, Helen Walker, 1826-1906.
  • McCollum, Walter.
  • United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 4th (1861-1864). Company D.
  • United States. Army. Michigan Artillery Regiment, 6th (1863-1865)
  • University of Michigan -- History.
  • Wagner Company (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Washtenaw County Historical Society.
  • World's Columbian Exposition (1893: Chicago, Ill.)
  • Adams, Charles Kendall, 1835-1902.
  • Ann Arbor City Mills.
  • Ann Arbor High School (Mich.)
  • Burnett, Arthur W.
  • Demmon, Isaac Newton, 1842-1920.
  • Dunster, Edward Swift, 1834-1888.
  • Christian Eberbach House (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Frieze, Henry S. (Henry Simmons), 1817-1889.
  • Haven, E. O. (Erastus Otis), 1820-1881.
  • Hempl, George, 1859-1921.
  • Jones, Charles Nelson, 1848-1913.
  • Loomis House (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • MacLean, Donald, 1839-1903.
  • Morgan House (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Muehlig House (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Palmer, Alice Freeman, 1855-1902.
  • Pond, Elihu Bartlit, 1826-1898.
  • Reighard House (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Tyler, Moses Coit, 1835-1900.
  • United States. Army. Michigan Artillery Regiment, 6th (1863-1865)
  • University of Michigan -- Buildings.
  • University of Michigan -- Campus.
  • Van Hoosen, Bertha, 1863-1952.
  • Winchell House (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Washtenaw County Historical Society.
  • Allen, John, 1796-1851.
  • Bronson, Titus, 1788-1853.
  • Chapin, Lucy E., 1834-1910.
  • Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company.
  • Forest Hill Cemetery (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
  • Howell, Seymour, 1841-1909.
  • Lyon, Lucius, 1800-1851.
  • Maynard, William Sumner, 1802-1866.
  • Gilbert, Edwin H.
  • Taylor, Howell., Mrs.
Contents List
Request materials for use in the Bentley Library
Container / Location Title
 
Collected historical materials [series]
Box   1  
Land grant and letter concerning Archer Crane 1948

(1)

Box   1  
Bill amending act which incorporated the village of Ann Arbor 1846

(2)

Box   1  
History of the Washtenaw Historical Society written by F. Clever Bald 1950

(3)

Box   1  
Ann Arbor printed materials

(4)

Box   1  
Ypsilanti printed materials (include memorial book about Helen W. McAndrew)

(5)

Box   1  
History of the Ladies Decoration Society undated

(6)

Box   1  
School papers of Frances J. Allen undated

(7)

Box   1  
Petition signed by supporters of the Jackson administration 1832

(8)

 
Lucy Chapin materials

(see also separate Lucy Chapin collection)

Box   1  
Miscellaneous collected autographs

(9)

Box   1  
Collected clippings re the University of Michigan

(10)

Box   1  
Collected clippings re Washtenaw County

(11)

Box   1  
Collected clippings re Ann Arbor

(12)

Box   1  
Miscellaneous clippings, programs and correspondence

(13)

Box   1  
Grand Army of the Republic miscellanea

(17; no folders 14-16)

Box   1  
Semi-Centennial celebration of Washtenaw County miscellanea 1874

(18)

Box   1  
Columbian Exposition

(19)

Box   1  
E. Clark materials (papers concerning the Territorial Road in Ann Arbor and the first duel in Ann Arbor

(20)

Box   1  
Inventories 1867, 1870-1872 of a dry goods store 1867-1872

(21)

Box   1  
Poems and plays

(22)

Box   1  
William Maynard mortgage

(22a)

Box   1  
Message of the governor of New York 1824

(23)

 
6th Michigan Heavy Artillery records (papers of Seymour Howell) 1863-1866

(These records, in addition to other Seymour personal papers, have been microfilmed. The original materials, folders 24-44, are closed to research)

 
Invoices of ordnance and ordnance stores
Box   2  
1863-1864

(24)

Box   2  
January-March 1865

(25)

Box   2  
April-September 1865

(26)

Box   2  
Receipts for ordnance stores

(27)

Box   2  
Abstracts of receipts 1865

(28)

Box   2  
Receipts of clothes, and camp and garrison equipment 1864-1865

(29)

Box   2  
Requisitions for ordnance stores 1864-1865

(30)

Box   2  
Reports on the returns of clothing, camp and garrison equipage 1864

(31)

Box   2  
Report of quarterly return of ordnance and ordnance stores 1864-1865

(32)

Box   2  
Special field orders 1864-1865

(33)

Box   2  
General orders of the War Dept. 1863-1865

(34)

Box   2  
Printed communications of the Ordnance Office 1863-1864

(35)

Box   2  
Official communications of the Ordnance Office 1864-1866

(36)

Box   2  
Papers include official correspondence 1863-1865

(37)

Box   2  
Correspondence of Capt. Seymour Howell 1864-1866

(38)

Box   2  
List of articles received by Seymour Howell at Fort Gaines, Ala. 1865

(39)

Box   2  
Miscellaneous lists

(40)

Box   2  
Inventory of ordnance stores 1865

(41)

Box   2  
Proceedings of board of survey at Fort Gaines, Ala. 1865

(42)

Box   2  
Abstracts of expenditures at Fort Gaines, Ala. 1863-1865

(43)

Box   2  
Miscellaneous include Civil War blank forms 1860s

(44)

Box   11  
Edwin H. Gilbert (Co. D, 4th Michigan Infantry) papers 1862-1865, undated

(These records, have been microfilmed. The original materials, folders 45-49, are closed to research)

Box   12  
Arithmetic books of Amelia Roosa 1822

(53; no folders 50-51)

Box   12  
Nineteenth century bank notes

(54)

Box   12  
Auction notice of lots in Ypsilanti 1827

(55)

Box   12  
Lease of Detroit, Hillsdale and Southwestern Railroad to Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad September 5, 1881

(56)

 
William Wagner papers
Box   12  
Receipts also miscellaneous accounts 1849-1902

(57)

Box   12  
Correspondence 1869, 1871

(58)

Box   12  
Scrapbook of late nineteenth century greeting cards

(60; no folder 59)

Box   12  
Article by William J. Armstrong entitled, "The Great Trail that Became the Chicago Road"

(61)

Box   12  
Washtenaw Impressions (papers used in)

(62)

Box   12  
Geneva Smithe research materials (intended for use in history of Washtenaw County

(64)

 
County and township materials
Box   12  
Ann Arbor Township

(65)

Box   12  
Bridgewater Township

(66)

Box   12  
Dexter Township

(67)

Box   12  
Freedom Township

(68)

Box   12  
Lima Township

(69)

Box   12  
Lodi Township

(70)

Box   12  
Lyndon Township

(71)

Box   12  
Manchester Township

(72)

Box   12  
Northfield Township

(73)

Box   12  
Pittsfield Township

(74)

Box   12  
Salem Township

(75)

Box   12  
Saline Township

(76)

Box   12  
Scio Township

(77)

Box   12  
Sharon Township

(78)

Box   12  
Superior Township

(79)

Box   12  
Sylvan Township

(80)

Box   12  
York Township

(81)

Box   12  
Ypsilanti Township

(82)

Box   12  
Notebooks re. county pioneers 1916-1926

(83)

Box   12  
Obituaries of county residents

(84)

Box   12  
Obituaries of county residents 1876-1886

(85)

Box   13  
Clippings, mainly obituaries, of county residents 1870s-1880s

(86)

Box   13  
Obituaries of county residents (mainly clippings) 1938-1952

(87)

Box   13  
Miscellanea

(88)

Box   13  
Jewell addition to Ann Arbor (paper about) 1871

(89)

Box   13  
Volume of poetry presented to Lucy Ann Kingsley 1820s-1830s
Box   13  
Scrapbook of Theresa Graves (largely concerning Ypsilanti, Michigan, history and citizens)
 
Organizational Records [series]
 
1873-1979
Box   3  
Minutes and membership book of the Washtenaw County Pioneer Society 1873-1929

(90)

Box   3  
Minutes and reports undated, 1929-1978 (17 folders)

(91-107)

Box   3  
Activities file 1957-1973

(108)

Box   3  
Officers file 1968-1979

(109)

 
Business correspondence
Box   3  
1913-1953

(110)

Box   3  
1968-1973

(111)

Box   3  
Constitution, bylaws, rules 1873-1966

(112)

Box   3  
Scrapbook 1877-1951

(113)

 
1978-2014
Box   14  
Burns Park cabin-names on logs report (includes photographs) 1991
Box   14  
Bylaws, constitution, and collections policy statement
Box   14  
Development study 1978
Box   14  
Financial records 1978-1985
Box   14  
IRS exempt status 1990
Box   14  
Minutes of the Board of Directors 1978-1988, 1992-2014 (13 folders)
Box   4  
Minutes of the Board of Directors 1980-2002

(include files maintained by Alice Ziegler)

Box   9  
Minutes and annual and regular meetings 1978-1984
Box   9  
Museum fund drive 1976-1979
Box   9  
Photographs (3 folders)
Box   9  
Washtenaw Genealogical Society 1974-1978 (2 folders)
Box   9  
Woodruff-Seymour Woodruff Bible record
Box   9  
125th birthday celebration 1982
Box   9  
Notebook circa 1986 containing copies of information from the minutes relating especially to gifts, collections, storage places, etc., 1873-1980 1873-1986
 
President's files (Galen Wilson; 1985-87) 1984-1988 (22 folders)
Box   9  
Agendas 1984-1987
Box   9  
Aliens & Scoundrels (sesquicentennial comedy) 1986-1987 (8 folders)
Box   9  
Articles of incorporation, by-laws, WCHS legal status
Box   9  
Book Committee (Ruth Bordin history) 1984-1987
Box   9  
Calendar: Bill Shurliff calendar 1986
Box   9  
Collections 1985-1987
Box   9  
Correspondence 1983-1987
Box   9  
Lists: membership, officers, committees
Box   9  
Long-Range Planning Committee 1985-1986
Box   9  
Meetings 1983-1988
Box   9  
Miscellaneous (include photographs)
Box   9  
Reports 1983-1987
Box   9  
Sesquicentennial Advisory Committee 1985-1987
Box   9  
Telephone dispute
Box   9  
Treasurer's reports 1984-1987
Box   10  
Miscellaneous topical files 1990s
Box   10  
Sound cassettes of meeting programs
 
Various WCHS officers, various dates

(unprocessed)

Box   15  
Secretary-treasurer (Geneva Smithe) files
Box   15  
Secretary (Ethelyn S. Morton) files
Box   15  
Secretary-treasurer (Katherine Groomes) files
Box   16  
Secretary-treasurer (Katherine Groomes) files
Box   16  
Recording secretary and newsletter editor (Alice Ziegler) topical files
Box   17  
Recording secretary (Alice Ziegler) notes and notebooks on board meetings
Box   18  
Miscellaneous and unprocessed
 
Photographs [series]
 
Ann Arbor
Box   5  
Businesses: include women in bean factory
Box   5  
Civil War announcement: President Tappan addressing the community 1861
Box   5  
High School
Box   5  
Houses and churches
Box   5  
Miscellaneous: include Broadway Bridge train-wreck
Oversize Folder   1  
Veterans group

(located in UBPl)

Box   5  
Views-countryside (2 folders)
Box   5  
Views-street and town

(see also oversized, UBPl)

Box   5  
Manchester
Box   5  
Saline
Box   5  
Sault Ste. Marie
 
Ypsilanti
Box   5  
General
Box   5  
Roosevelt High School
 
Individuals (3 folders)
Box   5  
Adams, Charles Kendall
Box   5  
Andrews, Lucy C
Box   5  
Armendt, W.B.
Box   5  
Armstrong, George W. and Martha J.
Box   5  
Ayers, Howard
Box   5  
Barrett, Kate
Box   5  
Bickford, Elizabeth E.
Box   5  
Bislif, Harriet H.
Box   5  
Breakey, W.F.
Box   5  
Brown, Dan B.
Box   5  
Burnett, Arthur William
Box   5  
Chamberlain, Winthrop B.
Box   5  
Chapin, Angie C.
Box   5  
Collier, Hattie Marie
Box   5  
Cowles, Dr. and Mrs.
Box   5  
Crocker, ?
Box   5  
Demmon, Isaac Newton
Box   5  
Dodd, Charles W.
Box   5  
Draper, H.
Box   5  
Dunster, (Dr.)
Box   5  
Eyer, Jane
Box   5  
Farrand, Mary Porter
Box   5  
Farrand, Porter Drew (2)
Box   5  
Frieze, Henry Simmons
Box   5  
Harris, Linda Enos
Box   5  
Haven, Eratus O.
Box   5  
Hemple, George (GH in office)
Box   5  
Hewitt, Walter B.
Box   5  
Hills, Laura (2)
Box   5  
Howe, Seth
Box   5  
Howland, Amy White
Box   5  
Hubbard (Grandmother)
Box   5  
Hubbard, T.H.
Box   5  
Jones, Chalres Nelson
Box   5  
Jones, Elisha
Box   5  
Kellogg, C.A.
Box   5  
Knowlton, Elizabeth Chase Bailey
Box   5  
de League, Mathilde
Box   5  
Lund, Almy Richmond
Box   5  
Lyon, Florence May
Box   5  
Mahon, Henry L.
Box   5  
Mark, Edward Laurens
Box   5  
Maroin, C.M.
Box   5  
Marston, Mary
Box   5  
Martin, Julia
Box   5  
McCollum, Walter
Box   5  
McLean, Donald
Box   5  
Mobbs, Albertine and Josephine
Box   5  
Okemos
Box   5  
Palmer, Alice Freeman
Box   5  
Parshall, James J.
Box   5  
Payne, Louise
Box   5  
Pierce, Newton B.
Box   5  
Pond, Elihu
Box   5  
Reighard, John E.
Box   5  
Reighard, Paul
Box   5  
Richmond, Charles H.
Box   5  
Rogers, Henry W.
Box   5  
Rumsey, Minerva
Box   5  
Swathel, John T.
Box   5  
Tuthill, Job
Box   5  
Tyler, Moses Coit
Box   5  
Van Hoosen, Bertha
Box   5  
Ward, Henry B.
Box   5  
Wells, Ebenezer B.
Box   5  
Whitaker, Herschel
Box   5  
Wiedersheim, R.
Box   5  
Miscellaneous
Box   5  
Negatives
Box   5  
Unidentified groups
Box   5  
Unidentified females and groups (cabinet size)
Box   5  
Unidentified males and groups (cabinet size)
Box   5  
Unidentified individuals (cartes de visite)
Box   5  
Unidentified houses, bridges, and other buildings
Box   5  
Unidentified views
Box   5  
University of Michigan buildings
Box   5  
University of Michigan miscellaneous (including laboratories)
Box   5  
University of Michigan stereocards
Box   5  
Western camping trip
Box   5  
Early forms (3 folders)
Box   6  
Ambrotypes
Box   6  
Ambrotypes (Lucy and Volney Chapin)
Box   6  
Daguerreotypes
Box   6  
Glass photograph
Box   6  
Ambrotypes
 
Glass slides [series] (53 slides (1 box))

(the following identifications and descriptions were prepared by Lela Duff in 1956)

 
Ann Arbor (slides 1-30)
Box   6  
1. John Allen's home in Virginia
Box   6  
2. Ann Arbor from Hiscock Hill, NW of city 1852
Box   6  
3. Old Cat Hole, and Mosley House, 12th Street, taken from east? Before Ann Arbor High School?
Box   6  
4. Old Court House
Box   6  
5. Court House Square, Sunday, April 14, 1861. News of firing on Fort Sumter
Box   6  
6. Broadway buildings put up by Anson Brown. Was post office in 1833. Brown died the next year and the post office was brought back to the "old town" on the hill by Thayer who knew prospects of the University.
Box   6  
7. Washtenaw Hotel, Broadway, built 1831 or 1832. Supposedly the finest hotel between Detroit and Jackson; condemned in 1921
Box   6  
8. Unity Block, SW corner Ann and Fifth Avenue. The First Methodist Church built ca. 1831-1832 sold to Unitarians who worshipped there from 1867 to 1882. Torn down 1930.
Box   6  
9. First Methodist parsonage.
Box   6  
10. Old Fire Engine House. Torn down in 1882. Stephenson states that between 1836, 1838 two engine houses were built; he does not say where. 1836-1838
Box   6  
11. William S. Maynard home on South Main, now the Elk's Club House. Had beautiful, extensive grounds, summerhouses, peacocks. Built ca. 1844.
Box   6  
12. Chapin home, corner of Fourth Avenue and Ann Street. Subsequently Joe Parker's restaurant, Catalpa Inn, and Peters Hotel
Box   6  
13. Corner State and North University. Octagonal house behind trees on the left
Box   6  
14. Turning sod for the Engineering Arch
Box   6  
15. First Ward School, 1872. Professor Ten Brook in foreground. Later sold to U-M and called West Hall. Torn down for Helen Newberry or Betsy Barbour
Box   6  
16. Hale and Smith Bank
Box   6  
17. First National Bank, Main Street circa 1886
Box   6  
18. NW corner of Main and Washington, built 1836
Box   6  
19. NW corner Main and Washington 1886
Box   6  
20. NW corner Main and Washington St. James sold to Bertha Muehlig circa 1896
Box   6  
21. Hangsterfer Block (built 1860) (SW Main and Washington). 1890
Box   6  
22. SW corner of Main and Huron circa 1840
Box   6  
23. Main Street looking north from Washington 1872
Box   6  
24. William Wagner and his store, east side of Main between Huron and Washington 1888
Box   6  
25. Old Opera House-Athens Theatre, built 1871. Remodeled by Whitney 1907
Box   6  
26a. Casper Rinsey's Grocery, SE corner Huron and Fourth Avenue circa 1890s
Box   6  
26. Adjacent to Rinseys but much earlier featuring Haller's Jewelry and Drake's Saloon circa 1860
Box   6  
27. SE corner Huron and Fourth Avenue
Box   6  
28. Washington Street look east from Main
Box   6  
29. Polhemus Livery
Box   6  
30. Unidentified houses
 
Ypsilanti (slides 31-49)
Box   6  
31. C.L. Yost harness shop
Box   6  
32. John Bryan home
Box   6  
33. Octagon House, S. Huron Street, home and office of Dr. Helen W. McAndrew and William McAndrew
Box   6  
34. Electric car no. 1
Box   6  
35. Birdseye view 1890
Box   6  
36. Steam Motor Train before Ypsilanti High School 1893
Box   6  
37. Michigan Central Depot 1870s
Box   6  
38. Ypsilanti City Mill, Cross and Rice Streets
Box   6  
39. Depot business district
Box   6  
40. Panorama 1859
Box   6  
41. Woolen Mill 1870
Box   6  
42. Lumber yard of H.R. Scovill & Co. on the Island
Box   6  
43. Huron Mills
Box   6  
44. Congress Street (now Michigan Avenue) Bridge
Box   6  
45. City Water Tower 1893
Box   6  
46. North Huron Street, west side, first block, with wooden sidewalk
Box   6  
47. Barton House
Box   6  
48. Atlantis Mineral Wells
Box   6  
49. C.F. Smith store (Schad Block and resident, East Michigan, corner of South Park
 
Other Subjects (slides 50-53)
Box   6  
50. Whitmore Lake, Pioneer and Farmers Picnic 1886
Box   6  
51. Dexter map with business directory undated
Box   6  
52. Rawsonville. Map showing location
Box   6  
53. Washtenaw County map
 
Albums [series]
 
Incomplete album without covers. Subjects include:
Box   6  
Allen, Giles B.
Box   6  
Chapin, Lucy
Box   6  
Chapin, Volney
Box   6  
Edwards, James
Box   6  
Fox, G.W.
Box   6  
Hewitt, C.W.
Box   6  
Mason, Brainard
Box   6  
Mason, John M.
Box   6  
Montgomery, P.D.
Box   6  
Oakes, James G.
Box   6  
Rolf, Joseph W.
Box   6  
Taylor, Charles B.
Box   6  
Trask, William S.
Box   6  
Woodward, W.H.
 
Album no. 1; subjects include:
Box   6  
Chapin, Lucy E.
Box   6  
Chapin, Mary F.
Box   6  
Chapin, Volney A.
Box   6  
Kingsley, Frank
Box   6  
Morris, L.
Box   6  
Morris, Mrs. L.
Box   6  
Red Riding Hood ?
Box   6  
Unidentified baby
Box   6  
Unidentified girl
Box   6  
Unidentified man
 
Album no 2; subject include:
Box   7  
Beck, Fred (tintype)
Box   7  
Cady ?, Mary Jane (tintype)
Box   7  
Davies, May
Box   7  
Eureka Concerto Organ
Box   7  
Execution scene
Box   7  
Steamboat scene
Box   7  
Unidentified portraits made in Michigan and Ohio (30 items)
Box   7  
Unidentified tintype of couple
 
Album no 3; subjects include:
Box   7  
The Nightingale (playing cards)
Box   7  
Nydia (sculpture)
Box   7  
Traver, Julia
Box   7  
Valkyri
Box   7  
Wilkins, Molly (actress)
Box   7  
Unidentified tintypes (5 items)
Box   7  
Unidentified portraits made in Michigan and Ohio (27 items)
 
Album no. 4 (belonged to Captain Seymour Howell); subjects include members of the 6th Michigan Heavy Artillery (i.e. 6th Michigan Infantry)

(see microfilm of Seymour Howell papers, separately cataloged)

Box   7  
Major General B.F. Butler (missing)
Box   7  
Beals, Warren
Box   7  
Brainard, James
Box   7  
Burgess, W.H.
Box   7  
Chade, Milton
Box   7  
Clark, Frederick
Box   7  
Cogswell, Sylvester
Box   7  
Corden, John
Box   7  
Cummings, Horace
Box   7  
Davis, Charles
Box   7  
Dickenson, Chester S.
Box   7  
Doy, Alfred
Box   7  
Ellis, A.I.
Box   7  
Fox, S.
Box   7  
Hill, T.B.
Box   7  
McIlvain, W.W.
Box   7  
Montgomery, P.D.
Box   7  
Sha...., Gospel Steward W.H.
Box   7  
Shepley, Brigadier General (Military Governor of Louisiana)
Box   7  
Shumeray, Alonzo
Box   7  
Smith, George H.
Box   7  
Stone, C.W.
Box   7  
Thayer, R.R.
Box   7  
Trask, Williams S.
Box   7  
Album no. 5 (partially filled with eight unidentified portraits of men, five of women, three of children, and three of groups)
 
Album no. 6; subjects include:
Box   7  
Bucklin, Millie
Box   7  
Howard, L.C.
Box   7  
White, Sarah Ann
Box   7  
Sixteen unidentified portraits of women, ten of men, six of children, two group photos (one of them a tintype)
 
Album no. 7; subjects include:
Box   7  
De.....?, Janice
Box   7  
Falk, Sarah
Box   7  
Gildersleve, Inlyza
Box   7  
Harrell, Samuel, with Samuel Runnel Harrell (age 2) and Hahnemann Vass Harrell (age 4-1/2)
Box   7  
Harris, George
Box   7  
Moore, Bessie
Box   7  
Porter, May
Box   7  
Scanlan, Isabelle
Box   7  
Skellenger, Sarah
Box   7  
White, David George
Box   7  
White, Edward William
Box   7  
Witten, Satie
Box   7  
Seven unidentified portraits of women, two of men, five of children, and four of groups
 
Album no. 8; subjects include:
Box   7  
Catafalque
Box   7  
Informal shot of baby in high chair
Box   7  
Informal shot of woman in kitchen
Box   7  
Unidentified portraits of seventeen women, eight men, six children, and nine groups, most taken in Ann Arbor or Ohio
Box   7  
Album no. 9 (empty)
 
Album no. 10
 
University of Michigan class of 1878 album maintained by Jay J. Read

(volume has been transferred to class album collection)

 
Miscellaneous and Oversize [series]
Box   8  
Photographs: include Ann Arbor buildings, mills, and organizations; Lapeer County women's group presenting flags to Civil War veterans groups 1883; Ann Arbor newsboys, 1892; Ann Arbor postal workers, circa 1890s 1883-1899
Box   8  
Painting of Washtenaw County scene
Box   8  
Maps (include maps of Washtenaw Historical Society tours)
Box   8  
Forest Hill Cemetery plan
 
Civil War records
Box   8  
Michigan Artillery, 6th Regiment, Co. C.
Box   8  
Michigan Infantry, 4th Regiment, Co. D.
Box   8  
Miscellaneous
Box   8  
Miscellaneous (include printed matter)