Title: Eugene H. Leslie Papers Creator: Leslie, Eugene H. (Eugene Hendricks), 1892- Dates: 1916-1964 Extent: 12.3 linear feet Location: Portions located in offsite storage; prior notification required for access. Abstract:
Chemical engineer and research scientist, pioneer in the refining of petroleum and synthesis of rubber. Correspondence files, financial records, published research materials; and photograph albums.
Call number: 85254 Aa 2 Language: The material is in English Repository: Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Ave. Ann Arbor, MI
email@example.com Home Page: http://www.bentley.umich.edu/
Finding aid created by Gary Kwiatek and Darwin C. Matthews, 1982-1983
Access and Use
The collection came from the Ann Arbor Department of Parks and Recreation (donor no. 6669) and was deposited with the library in two accession in 1981 and 1982.
The collection is open to research.
To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS
tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital
formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more
information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.
Donor(s) have not transferred any applicable copyright to the Regents of the University of Michigan. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
[item], folder, box, Eugene H. Leslie Papers , Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
Eugene H. Leslie was a Professor of Chemical Engineering at the University of Michigan during the 1920's. He left the University in 1928 to become a consulting engineer, working with numerous petroleum refiners and manufacturers in the processing industries and also as an engineering contractor in the sale of complete plants and plant units. He was the owner of Leslie Laboratories, a private research laboratory located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Leslie gained his early fame by developing a better process for refining gasoline. He served as consultant for firms building refineries, making White Star Company (the Kennedy-Earhart family of Ann Arbor) an early leader in the field. On the eve of World War II, he became involved in synthetic rubber experimentation, serving as a governmental advisor during the war. He died in 1976, leaving his home, laboratory, and grounds (now Leslie Park Golf Course) to the people of Ann Arbor for recreational purposes.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The Eugene H. Leslie Papers collection consists primarily of three series of correspondence: Alphabetical Correspondence Files, 1916-1964; chronological Correspondence Files (Outgoing), 1924-1958; and Chronological Correspondence Files, 1933-1952. There are also three other smaller series: Biographical Material, Financial Records, 1934-1948, and Papers and Reprints, 1920-1927.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the finding aid database and catalog of The Bentley Historical Library/University of Michigan. Researchers desiring additional information about related topics should search the catalog using these headings.