George Francis Lemble papers: 1958-1968
George Francis Lemble papers
Lemble, George Francis.
2 linear feet
Ann Arbor, Michigan businessman, president of the Washtenaw Conservatives, active in local Republican Party affairs; correspondence and other papers relating to politics, the Board of Education, the Housing Commission and Police Department of Ann Arbor, and the Willow Run project of the federal anti-poverty program.
851711 Aa 2
The material is in English
Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Ave.Finding aid created by Thomas E. Powers, 1968
Ann Arbor, MI
Home Page: http://www.bentley.umich.edu/
Access and Use
The collection was the gift of George F. Lemble (donor no. 4457) and came to the library in 1968.
The collection is open to research.
To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.
Copyright is not held by the Regents of the University of Michigan. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
[item], folder, box, George Francis Lemble papers, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
George Lemble was an insurance underwriter for the Security Mutual Life Insurance Company in Ann Arbor, Michigan. In addition, he was active in both the civic and political affairs of the city. He was an outspoken conservative, serving as president of the Washtenaw Conservatives and speaking out as a Republican in support of Barry Goldwater's candidacy in 1964 and in opposition to the creation of a housing commission and passage of a fair housing ordinance in Ann Arbor. He ran, unsuccessfully, in 1966 to the city council.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The George Lemble collection consists of a series of correspondence, clippings, newsletters and other publications dating from 1958 to 1968, and relating to his political activities in Ann Arbor and Washtenaw County. Another series of miscellaneous other papers relates to the debate over establishment of Ann Arbor Housing Commission in 1965, to his 1966 campaign for election to the Ann Arbor City Council, and to local conservative politics in general.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the finding aid database and catalog of The Bentley Historical Library/University of Michigan. Researchers desiring additional information about related topics should search the catalog using these headings.
- Ann Arbor (Mich.)
- Education -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
- Elections -- Michigan -- 1964.
- Elections -- Michigan -- 1966.
- Michigan -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- Michigan -- Politics and government -- 1961-1970.
- Police -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1964.
- Public welfare -- Michigan -- Willow Run.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1961-1963.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1963-1969.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1953-1961.
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975.
- Willow Run (Mich.)
- Ann Arbor (Mich.). Housing Commission.
- Lemble, George Francis, 1924-1974.
- Republican Party (Mich.)
- University of Michigan -- Students -- Social life and customs -- 1961-1970.
- Washtenaw County Conservatives (Mich.)
- Dearden, John F. (John Francis), 1907-1988.
- Dirksen, Everett McKinley.
- Durant, Richard.
- Ervin, Sam J. (Sam James), 1896-1985.
- Esch, Marvin Lionel, 1927-
- Goldwater, Barry M. (Barry Morris), 1909-1998.
- Griffin, Robert P. (Robert Paul), 1923-2015.
- Hart, Philip A. (Philip Aloysius), 1912-1976.
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973.
- Lawrence, David, 1888-
- Lobsinger, Donald.
- McNamara, Patrick Vincent, 1894-1966.
- Meader, George, 1907-1994.
- Romney, George W., 1907-1995.
- Talmadge, Herman E. (Herman Eugene), 1913-2002.
- Tower, John G. (John Goodwin), 1925-1991.
- Young, Milton Ruben, 1897-1983.
Additional Descriptive Data
Dearden, John F. (John Francis), 1907-1988.Dirksen, Everett McKinley.Durant, RichardErvin, Samuel J. (Sam James), 1896-1985.Esch, Marvin Lionel, 1927-
Goldwater, Barry M. (Barry Morris), 1909-1998.
- Mar. 22, 1967, May 9, 1967, June 18, 1968
Griffin, Robert P. (Robert Paul), 1923-
- June 15, 1965, July 21, 1965
Hart, Philip A. (Philip Aloysius), 1912-1976.Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973.Lawrence, David, 1888-Lobsinger, DonaldMcNamara, Patrick Vincent, 1894-1966.Meader, George, 1907-
- Sept. 17, 1965, Jan. 25, 1967, Feb. 13, 1967, Mar. 16, 1967, May 4, 1967, May 16, 1967, June 6, 1967
Romney, George, 1907-
- Dec. 17, 1964, Apr. 20, 1964, Apr. 28, 1964, May 1, 1964, May 20, 1964, June 24, 1964, Jan. 30, 1965
Talmadge, Herman E. (Herman Eugene), 1913-2002.Tower, John G. (John Goodwin), 1925-1991.Young, Milton Reuben, 1897-1983
- Mar. 1, 1963, Oct. 15, 1963, June 26, 1964, June 21, 1965