Edwin C. Goddard papers: circa 1884-circa 1940
Edwin C. Goddard papers
Goddard, Edwin C. (Edwin Charles), 1865-1942
circa 1884-circa 1940
1.5 linear feet
Professor of mathematics and later of law at the University of Michigan., papers include addresses and essays, family genealogies, class notebooks, and a draft manuscript and source materials for a history of the U-M Law School.
851364 Aa 2
The material is in English
Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Ave.Finding aid created by Michigan Historical Collections staff
Ann Arbor, MI
Home Page: http://www.bentley.umich.edu/
Access and Use
Donor Nos. 343, 645, 1872.
The collection is open to research.
To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS
tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital
formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more
information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.
Copyright is held by the Regents of the University of Michigan but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
[item], folder, box, Edwin C. Goddard Papers, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
Edwin C. Goddard was a professor of mathematics and later of law at the University of Michigan, 1895-1935.
Goddard was born August 20, 1965 in Winnebago, Illinois, the son of James W. and Mary Blodgett Goddard. He attended Winnebago schools and prepared for the university at Ann Arbor High School. He graduated form the University of Michigan with a bachelor of philosophy degree in 1889 and took a job teaching mathematics at Saginaw High School and served as principal from 1891-1895. From 1995-1900 was an instructor in mathematics at the University of Michigan. While teaching mathematics, Goddard enrolled in the Law Department and received a bachelor of law degree in 1899 and began teaching in the law department in 1900.
Goddard was promoted to full professor in 1903. Among his specialties were agency, bailment, public utilities, and real property law. He was secretary of the law faculty form 1901-1917 and in 1917-1918 served as chairman of the administrative committee of the Law School, directing its activities in the absence on leave of Dean Henry Bates. Goddard was a member of the first board of Governors of the Lawyers Club and served on the board until his retirement in 1935.
He was also active in community life, serving at various times as member of the board of education, park board, community fund and city selective service board and was prominent in the affairs of the First Congregational Church.
Goddard was married to Lillian Rosewarne of Decatur, Michigan in July of 1892. Goddard died August 18, 1942.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The Edwin Charles Goddard papers consist of addresses and essays on various subjects by Goddard and his wife Lillian; miscellaneous letters; notes and letters on European trip, 1908-1909; family genealogy; outline of an algebra course; University of Michigan law thesis; original manuscript and manuscript material for his history of University of Michigan Law School; Ann Arbor High School and University of Michigan student notebooks on courses by Henry C. Adams, James B. Angell, Isaac N. Demmon, John Dewey, Henry S. Frieze, Charles M. Gayley, Richard Hudson, Elisha Jones, Andrew C. McLaughlin, George S. Morris, Albert B. Prescott, Jacob E. Reighard, Volney M. Spalding, and Victor C. Vaughan. Also included are portraits of Goddard and of his mother, Mary Blodgett Goddard, and her family.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the finding aid database and catalog of The Bentley Historical Library/University of Michigan. Researchers desiring additional information about related topics should search the catalog using these headings.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- Lawyers -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
- Voyages and travels.
- Adams, Charles Kendall, 1835-1902.
- Angell, James Burrill, 1829-1916.
- Ann Arbor High School (Mich.)
- Demmon, Isaac Newton, 1842-1920.
- Dewey, John, 1859-1952.
- Frieze, Henry S. (Henry Simmons), 1817-1889.
- Gayley, Charles Mills, 1858-1932.
- Hudson, Richard, 1845-1915.
- Jones, Elisha, 1832-1888.
- McLaughlin, Andrew Cunningham, 1861-1947.
- Morris, George Sylvester, 1840-1889.
- Prescott, A. B. (Albert Benjamin), 1832-1905.
- Reighard, Jacob, 1861-1942.
- Spalding, Volney Morgan, 1849-1918.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of Botany.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of Chemistry.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of Classical Studies.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of English Language and Literature.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of Germanic Languages and Literatures.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of History.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of Mathematics.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of Philosophy.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of Political Science.
- University of Michigan -- Faculty.
- University of Michigan -- Law School.
- University of Michigan -- Student notebooks.
- Vaughan, Victor C. (Victor Clarence), 1851-1929.
- Blodgett family.
- Goddard family.
- Goddard, Edwin C. (Edwin Charles), 1865-1942.
- Goddard, Lillian Rosewarne.