Earle Wilbur Dow papers: 1885-1945
Earle Wilbur Dow papers
Dow, Earle Wilbur, 1868-1946
5 linear feet
Portions located in offsite storage; prior notification required for access.
Professor of history at University of Michigan. Correspondence and miscellanea concerning the University and personal affairs.851294 Aa 2
The material is in English
Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Ave.Finding aid created by Michigan Historical Collections staff
Ann Arbor, MI
Home Page: http://www.bentley.umich.edu/
Access and Use
The collection was the gift of Philip Dow (donor no. 4562).
The collection is open to research.
To protect fragile audiovisual recordings (such as audio cassettes, film reels, and VHS
tapes), the Bentley Historical Library has a policy of converting them to digital
formats by a professional vendor whenever a researcher requests access. For more
information, please see: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/duplication/.
Copyright is held by the Regents of the University of Michigan but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
[item], folder, box, Earle Wilbur Dow papers, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
Earle Wilbur Dow was born April 28, 1868 in Bellefontaine, Ohio. He graduated from the University of Michigan in 1891, then taught school for a year in Manistee, Michigan. He returned to the U-M in 1892 as an instructor of history. From 1894 until 1898, he studied abroad at Leipzig University and the University of Paris. He returned to the University of Michigan in 1899 as assistant professor of European history. He became full professor in 1902. He was the author of An Atlas of European History. He retired in 1938 and died January 8, 1946.
Collection Scope and Content Note
The Earle W. Dow collection consists mainly of correspondence with other historians and University of Michigan colleagues. Appended to this finding aid is a selective index to Dow's correspondents. Beyond correspondence, there is a scattering of other material relating to Dow's University of Michigan activities and to his involvement with the Belvedere Club of Charlevoix, Michigan.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the finding aid database and catalog of The Bentley Historical Library/University of Michigan. Researchers desiring additional information about related topics should search the catalog using these headings.
- Ann Arbor (Mich.)
- Schools -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
- Dow, Earle Wilbur, 1868-1946.
- University of Michigan. Dept. of History.
- University of Michigan -- Faculty.
- Ann Arbor High School (Mich.)
- Gibson's Photographic Gallery (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
- Adams, Herbert Baxter, 1850-1901.
- Angell, James Burrill, 1829-1916.
- Beal, Junius E. (Junius Emery), 1860-1942.
- Blacker, Robert R., 1845-
- Bourne, Henry Eldridge, 1862-1946.
- Clowry, Robert Charles, 1838-1925.
- Cooley, Mortimer E. (Mortimer Elwyn), 1855-1944.
- Dixon, Frank Haigh, 1869-1944.
- Effinger, John Robert, 1869-1933.
- Ely, Richard Theodore, 1854-1943.
- Gale, Esson M. (Esson McDowell), 1884-1964.
- Gresham, Walter Quintin, 1832-1895.
- Hampton, Charles S., 1856-1917.
- Hart, Albert Bushnell, 1854-1943.
- Jameson, J. Franklin (John Franklin), 1859-1937.
- McLaughlin, Andrew Cunningham, 1861-1947.
- Markley, Joseph Lybrand, 1859-1930.
- Pattengill, Henry Romaine, 1852-1918.
- Reighard, Jacob, 1861-1942.
- Salmon, Lucy Maynard, 1853-1927.
- Small, Albion Woodbury, 1854-1926.
- Wahr, George, 1861-
- Ward, Henry Baldwin, 1865-1945.
Additional Descriptive Data
Adams, Herbert Baxter, 1850-1901.Angell, James Burrill, 1829-1916.
Beal, Junius E. (Junius Emery), 1860-1942.
- Apr. 20, 1900, May 21, 1902
Blacker, Robert R., b. 1845.Bourne, Henry Eldridge, 1862-1946.Clowry, Robert Charles, 1838-1925.Cooley, Mortimer E. (Mortimer Elwyn), 1855-1944.Dixon, Frank Haigh, 1869-
- Oct. 7, 1904, Dec. 21, 1904
Effinger, John R. (John Robert), 1869-1933.Ely, Richard Theodore, 1854-1943.Gale, Esson McDowell, 1884-
- Jan. 11, 1904, Apr. 1898, Sept. 1898
Gresham, Walter Quintin, 1832-1895.Hampton, Charles S., 1856-1917.Hart, Albert Bushnell, 1854-1943.Jameson, J. Franklin (John Franklin), 1859-1937.McLaughlin, Andrew Cunningham, 1861-1947.
- Jan. 30, 1914, June 23, 1914, Nov. 3, 1914, June 1927
Markley, Joseph Lybrand, 1859-1930.
- Jan. 1904, Apr. 1904, July 1904, Oct. 1904, 1917, 1927
Pattengill, Henry Romaine, 1852-1918.
- June 14, 1902, Aug. 9, 1904
Pattengill, Henry Romaine, 1852-1918.Salmon, Lucy Maynard, 1853-1927.Small, Albion Woodbury, 1854-1926.Wahr, George, b. 1861.Ward, Henry Baldwin, 1865-1945.
- May 25, 1892, May 28, 1895
- Apr. 5, 1894, May 28, 1895