The Argus-Press was established in Owosso, Michigan as the Owosso Argus-Press by George T. Campbell in 1916. The paper sprang as an amalgamation of the local papers before it: newspapers predating this merger include The Owosso Weekly Press, the Owosso Press, the Owosso Weekly Argus, the Evening Argus (bought by Campbell in the 1890s), and the Press-American.
The focus of the press was on local Shiawassee County news as well as national news, and it quickly rose as a major newspaper in the area. In 1948, the Argus-Press founded the WOAP ("Owosso Argus-Press") radio station, though by 1987 was required to sell the station in accordance with the cross ownership rule set by the Federal Communications Commission.
In the early 2000s, the Argus-Press absorbed The Durand Express and The Shiawassee County Journal. Still under the purview of the Campbell family, the Argus-Press continues to report on various aspects of daily life in Owosso, ranging from coverage of the Shiawassee County fair to updates on local and national court cases and crime.