Detroit Observatory (University of Michigan) records: 1860-2004 (bulk 1994-2001)
full text File Size: 144 K bytes | how to request materials

Summary Information

Title: Detroit Observatory (University of Michigan) records
Creator: University of Michigan. Detroit Observatory.
Inclusive dates: 1860-2004
Bulk dates: 1994-2001
Extent: 29 linear feet (and oversize material)
Abstract:
The Detroit Observatory, an astronomical observatory on the campus of the University of Michigan, was the vision of University of Michigan President Henry Philip Tappan. He recognized the need for institutions of higher education to pursue scientific endeavors. Built in 1854, the Detroit Observatory was named after the Detroit residents who helped finance the building project. Extensive restoration work of the Observatory was completed in 1999.
Call number: 0713 Bimu 2
Language: The material is in English
Repository: Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2113
Phone: 734-764-3482
Fax: 734-936-1333
e-mail: bentley.ref@umich.edu
Home Page: http://www.bentley.umich.edu/
Finding aid created by Polly Reynolds, June 2006. Updated for digitization by Melissa Hernandes-Duran in January 2019.