The residence of Professor George S. Morris, head of the Department of Philosophy, was located on State Street on the southwest corner of Jefferson Avenue. The site was purchased by the University of Michigan in 1922 and renamed Morris Hall in 1924. In October 1928, it was adapted as a studio for broadcasting and rehearsals of the University Band. The building was demolished in 1946 to make way for the Administration Building.
5 x 7 inch negative; 8 x 10 inch print 1983 Sam Sturgis; Morris Hall, University Band (?)
North Hall and Museum Annex (Old Homeopathic Hospital and Nurse's Quarters), ca. 1928-1930
Ivory Photo photograph collection
Ivory Photo (Firm)
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
North Hall & Museums Annex (Old Hospital & Nurses' Quarters)
Photographer / Artist
Ivory Photo (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
Stanton & Kirby, architecture firm. Built between 1899-1900. The Homeopathic Hospital was housed in this building until the Homeopathic Medical College was discontinued in 1922. In May, 1926, the building was designated by the Regents as "South Department Hospital." The Regents' Proceedings for September, 1940, notes that "in view of the fact that the South Department of the University Hospital, so-called, is no longer used for hospital purposes but is occupied by the University Extension Service, the Naval R.O.T.C. unit the building was redesignated as North Hall." From 1949-1951 Army and Air Force R.O.T.C. also were also housed in the building. In 2015, the building was demolished to allow for construction of the Biological Sciences Building.
Inscribed on verso: "(Later) Museums Annex (right) & part of North Hall (Old Hospital, South Dept.)."
4 x 5 inch negative; 8 x 10 inch print 1983 Sturgis