Mason Hall was the first University of Michigan building devoted to instruction was known as the University Main Building upon completion in 1841 in time for fall classes. It was both dormitory and classroom facility. It was named after Governor Stevens T. Mason in 1843. In 1849, a similar building called South College was constructed south of Mason Hall. In 1856 the central part of Mason Hall was renovated to house the University Library and Museums. University Hall (built 1871-1873) connected the two buildings, which then were referred to as South Wing and North Wing. All three buildings were removed in 1950. In 1952, a new classroom building designed by architect Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates as an addition to Angell Hall was named Mason Hall.
Album title: "University of Michigan. Class of 1861." On title page: "Photographed by T. D. Tooker, Ann Arbor, Mich."
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
On verso: Probably the World's Fair at Buffalo as it was in 1901. The corner building has a sign which reads, "Joe Borgo California House." His name is in Ironwood directory, at 109 E. Bonnie. On sticker: Victor F. Lemmer, P.O. Box 661, 424 Douglas Boulevard, Ironwood, Mich. 49938