York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Given to the university by William W. Cook, the four original buildings comprising the Law Quadrangle with their construction dates are: the Lawyers Club, 1924; the John P. Cook Dormitory, 1930; the Legal Research Building, 1931; and Hutchins Hall, 1933. The Legal Research Building included the original library. In January 2012, the Law Quadrangle was enlarged with the addition of South Hall and Aikens Commons.
Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
Folder: Photographs, Construction of Law Library Addition
Gunnar Birkerts & Associates, architecture firm. Construction began in 1978 and the building opened in 1981. The library is an underground addition to the Legal Research Building, which is one of the four original Law Quadrangle buildings, donated by William W. Cook and built between 1924-1933.
Campus Diag [Diagonal] showing library and pharmacology
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusD2. Folder: Campus Views. Central Campus. Campus Walks. no. 106
The Economics Building (originally called the Chemical Laboratory) was built in 1856 by A. J. Jordan and destroyed by an arson fire on Christmas Eve 1981.
The General Library was built between 1916 and 1920 by Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop. It was renamed the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library with the addition of a south stack built between 1967-1970.