Chamberlin & Austin, architecture firm. The easternmost of two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. From 1891-1900, this building housed the Allopathic Hospital (also called University Hospital); 1900-1925, the Surgical Ward; 1925-1944, the East Convalescent Ward; 1944-1950, the Rapid Treatment Center; and 1950-1965, the Institute for Social Research. It was removed in 1965.
On verso: "Alice Hamilton in front row, fourth from left."
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.