Observatory is near Lake Angelus, Mich. (five miles north of Pontiac). 24" reflecting telescope began operations in July 1930; also included a 10 1/2" reflector. Established and deeded to the university by Robert R. McMath, Francis McMath, and Judge Henry S. Hulbert. An additional 50' tower telescope was added in 1935/ 1946 and 70' tower telescope and office building added in 1940. Image is photograph of a painting.
This image may be protected by copyright law. For further information contact Bentley Historical Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
U. of M. League Bldg. Laying of Corner Stone, March 29, 1928.
Pond family papers
Pond Family (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
Photographer / Artist
George F. Korwin
Inscription: U. of M. League Bldg. Laying of Corner Stone, March 29, 1928. Photo by Korwin, No. 745. Pond & Pond, Martin & Loyd Arch's. Lovering-Longbotham Cont's. ; On verso: see Ruth Bordin, 'The University of Michigan, A Pictorial History,' p. 207. March 1928. Mrs. Arthur Vandenberg addressed the crowd. (Daybook, image #35)
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
Harley, Ellington & Day, architects. Occupied in December 1948 by business, administrative, and public service departments, the building was designated as the Administrative Building. Exterior features Marshall Frederick's sculpture. In 1967, upon completion of the Fleming Administration Building, this building became the LS&A Building.